Tuesday September 16th 2003 (12 years ago)
Find in the blog:

We're chained to our computers, thinking about fly fishing.
This blog is our outlet to keep our heads from exploding

The Great Nymph Project, II

Published: Tuesday September 16th 2003 (12 years ago)
Updated: Thursday September 25th 2003, 10:59AM
by Bob Petti

We're underway

Well, the Great Nymph Project has started.

This past weekend, I spun about 50 dubbing brushes for my first batch of nymphs. Each brush will make the bodies of two flies, so I've got about a hundred flies worth of dubbing completed. It took about an hour and a half, maybe two hours, to complete them all. That's not bad if you think about it - especially since that is the most time consuming part of making these nymphs. At this rate, by the time I finish, I'll probably average 20 flies per hour. I'm gonna try to keep track of the time invested, just to see what the final score is.

Making the brushes is pretty simple, expecially with Jan Simon's dubbing brush machine. The steps are basically, feed the wire into the machine, fill the trough with squirrel dubbing, sprinkle with holographic gold and pearl blue Angel Hair, pack with bent end tweezer, and spin till the brush breaks free from the hook. Once you get into a rhythm, the brushes fairly pop off the machine.

Here's what they look like:

Dubbing Brushes

Part of the blog chain "The Great Nymph Project"

<<< Further back

Blog front page   Archive