View topic - Warm water outflows - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Warm water outflows
Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rybolov

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Burke Lake Reply with quote
Esox wrote:
I have not fished Burke lake. Does it really have Muskies?

Burke used to be the brood stock of Muskies for the rest of the state. I know people who take n00bs out there because there are so many different species of fish, you'll always catch something. The lake is definitely too big for a float tube, although I've tubed it a couple of times. It's pretty good for a pontoon boat or a typical bass boat.

March is good muskie time. It also has walleye, largemouth, crappie, and bluegill.

VA DGIF info about Burke

The lake itself is a reservoir with dam at one end. It forms a nice V with inlets at the end of each arm. You can wade the inlets, and I go to the one in the NW because it's easy to reach by walking. The DGIF has a good pdf map that you can use.

Esox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Burke Reply with quote
Great. Thanks a lot. That is a lake in my own county that I have never been to. And I travel Rt 123 a lot and fish Hemlock Overlook quite a bit. That is a nice little stream to fish. Largemouth and Smallmouth side by side. Beautiful pools and riffles with lots of other species as well. Carp, Channel Cats, the usual assortment of sunfish family members all in a hip boot environment. And a good website too.

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
Esox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Today's Bass Reply with quote
It was one of those days that I would have never even thought about Largemouth Bass fishing several years ago. Low 30's, strong winds, water temp at about 44 degrees F. I recently got the Clouser book and went to work on a few petterns and threw caution to the wind, literally, and gave it a try. If the pics do not come through I'll try again. I caught a dozen Bass by fishing chatruse clouser deep minnows. I let them sink to the bottom and crawled them back. Most of the pickups were while the fly was sitting still. Many of the fish have a huge headed appearance right now. The seventeen incher was only two pounds. That fish will put on a full pound by bedding time in 6-8 weeks. In two hours I hooked up twenty fish and landed a dozen. I cant think of a better way to freeze one's butt off.

A bit better Bass.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.81 KB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)

A bit better Bass.jpg

16 inch Bass.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.11 KB
 Viewed:  438 Time(s)

16 inch Bass.jpg

Racer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.72 KB
 Viewed:  439 Time(s)

Racer.jpg

Esox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: One more pic. Reply with quote
Thsi is a healthy, cold mouthed bass.

Bass mouth head on.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.29 KB
 Viewed:  432 Time(s)

Bass mouth head on.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: