View topic - The Partridge and Yellow- A Classic Trout Fly - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

The Partridge and Yellow- A Classic Trout Fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly tying - Tie Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornmuse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: The Partridge and Yellow- A Classic Trout Fly Reply with quote
It's also a great fly for bluegills. And this is my "secret weapon" for post-spawn finicky smallmouth. When you see them flashing in deep holding runs but they aren't interested in chasing a streamer or coming up for a topwater, try softhackle!

You can download a video of the fly tying steps or print step-by-step directions. Videos are available as a Podcast from the iTunes site or can be downloaded directlly from http://www.flyfishohio.com

Do you fish softhackles in warm water? Inquiriing minds want to know!

Joe C.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
hares ear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Joe,
one of my absolute favourites in this style of tying is the partridge and hares ear. Especially with difficult trout and grayling fished upstream dead drift with the occasional rod tip twitch to move it has done a lot for me. The trick is to lift it just a little and get the soft hackle to move.
TL
Florian
cornmuse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Partridge and Hare is certainly a fantastic fly. The entire line of soflhackles are worthy of inclusion in any well-tempered kit. I carry them from a size 8 to a size 18 and I've caught just about everything on them. if you want to try something just a bit different, use a bright flourescent orange thread to tie the P&H - it gives the fly a fine ruddy glow when wet. Dub lightly and use the brown hackles from a partridge. With this variation I'll often leave an 8" tag of thread from the tie in at the beginning, tie in the hackle butt first at the head (Stewart style), dubb the body and then wrap the hackle back towards the tail. I'll then rib the body and wind through the hackle using the tag end and tie the whole thing off with a small neat head. tied this way the fly in almost indestructible, it has a great ribbed effect, and it tapers naturally towards the tail end.

Joe C.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
hares ear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good idea to tie them this way, I have spend too much time lately on the tying bench so I have to hold back a little before I try it.
I am going to do a float trip in Alaska mid of July, that is in connection with a business trip and I decided it late, so I had to tie a lot of pacific salmon flies. My better half has already asked the question "do you now have enough flies".
I have still taken a few soft hacles from the stock and put them in the box for grayling and rainbows. We'll see what happens.
TL
Florian
Kelly L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What hooks do you all use for the Partridge and Yellow? I have used a 3906, and a 3906B, but think a 3399 or 3399A would work just fine too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly tying - Tie Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: