View topic - NIght fishing frustration - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

NIght fishing frustration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick Hunt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: NIght fishing frustration Reply with quote
Dear Sea trout fishers,
as a newcomer to sea trout fishing I have an observation which I have now made on three independent occasions whilst night fishing for sea trout in Denmark (Als). On all occasions in summer there was virtually no wind and as it became dark (around 22:00) one could hear and occasionally see fish jumping and hunting in knee deep water as close as 2-3 M from the beach. Repeated casing to these fish resulted in the occasional very cautious tweek without hooking the fish. I have tried large and small small flies (#14) from probably everything that ther is on the web, greased leaders, surface flies, slow and fast stripping etc, without being able to make contact. However when it began to get light and one could see the fish hunting then it was no prblem to cast to the fish and connect after usually a very determined bite! What am I doing wrong. I would be most gratefull for any suggestions.
Thanks and keep up the good work with this brilliant website.
Nick.
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: A possibility Reply with quote
One possibility:
"They", might be cod and not the sea trout. Cod are very common around sunset and sunrise and jump, hunt in the shallows and make "popping" sounds at the surface.
Unfortunately, these cod don't reach great sizes but are good game.

As for missing the fish...That's fishing.
My guess is as good as the next persons...Ask a question get a thousand different answers. There's no right way to fish and conditions employ different tactics.
Standing in your waders (assuming they don't leak), I would of done the same but may have moved on to another area to fish rather than give the cod (if it was them), a bit of a giggle.

Just keep at it...

RD

2010 Mongolia
2011 North Pole: Anglo-American Trans-Arctic Expedition

www.mongolia2010.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: