View topic - An explosive evening - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

An explosive evening
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: An explosive evening Reply with quote
This evening was one of those days. For those that have experienced it - will know what I am talking about - For those that haven't - will think I'm jibbering on a bit...

Sea trout everywhere. A kind of a feeding frenzy.
So many sea trout lost, I lost count. 8 sea trout taken with the largest topping a 52cm.
Wind in the face, cloudy water, easterly wind, small flies and casting a few metres from shore resulted in the best day this year.
Phew. Just what dreams are made off!

Ripley

P42900301111.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.4 KB
 Viewed:  563 Time(s)

P42900301111.jpg

2010 Mongolia
2011 North Pole: Anglo-American Trans-Arctic Expedition

www.mongolia2010.com
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: An explosive evening Reply with quote
DistantStreams wrote:
This evening was one of those days. For those that have experienced it - will know what I am talking about - For those that haven't - will think I'm jibbering on a bit...
Phew. Just what dreams are made off!

Ripley,

Great to hear that others are experiencing it too! We're having some very good fishing these days, and it seems that the fish have really started feeding. Water temperatures are slowly approaching 7-8-9 deg C, and that's probably what has sparked all the activity.

We're seeing catches of 6, 8 and 10 fish per angler in a day, which is FAR beyond what we usually expect from a Danish sea trout trip.

My last trip brought six to hand.Let's hope it keeps on like that for a while. I'm trying again tomorrow.

Martin

IMG_9159.jpg
 Description:
Tie me up, baby! This one took the trip through thye loose line several times before I could release it.
 Filesize:  513.17 KB
 Viewed:  550 Time(s)

IMG_9159.jpg

DistantStreams

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Explosive? Reply with quote
I'm also out tomorrow. Days / moments / experiences like these are few and far between. Let's make the most of it.
Sea temperatures measured today was 8'c. Air was slightler cooler.
I spoke to one guy today fishing an area close to where I was gettin ghits every other cast and he landed 14 fish. 2 he kept over 50cm and the rest returned measuring between 30 and 45+cm.
He said he had so many knocks and takes...Is the garfish returning?

I had endless knocks and bumps today and saw the surface swirl...Could it be? Or just these silver torpedo's coming to life?

Can't wait for tomorrow.
See my hat Maritn? Shocked 5 years in all weathers, conditions, and countries...GFF hat needed before this hat walks away in protest! Laughing

Tight lines Martin. Winner takes it all...!!!! Meet back here tomorrow with the results...
Ripley

P4290032111.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.83 KB
 Viewed:  570 Time(s)

P4290032111.jpg

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
taff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Martin, Ripley,

We are also having huge runs of Sea Trout for the time of year, many more than I can ever remember, also the trout fishing has gotten off to a great start with magnifecent hatches on the Usk and Irfon
taff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Martin, Ripley,

We are also having huge runs of Sea Trout for the time of year, many more than I can ever remember, also the trout fishing has gotten off to a great start with magnifecent hatches on the Usk and Irfon
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Explosive? Reply with quote
DistantStreams wrote:
Tight lines Martin. Winner takes it all...!!!! Meet back here tomorrow with the results...
Ripley

Thanks Ripley,

Not that it helped unfortunately. The closest I got to fish today was when a guy about 200 meters away caught a nice 2-3 kilos fish. We were three friends who fished the most perfect water in three different locations. Nothing!

That's sea trout fishing for you...

Martin

DistantStreams

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Explosive part 2 Reply with quote
Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear your poor day in the quest for 'ole silver'.

Two of us had a pretty productive day - Some might say a great day - Others might say a slow day but it in our books - Any day in the water is a great day...

In total we had 5 fish taken to hand with the largest a good 50cm of solid silver. The smallest a 40cm. We had plenty of followers and hits keeping us on our toes but sea trout being what they are, were unpredictable.
The wind kicked up a bit of a fuss at one point being straight in the face but that's my favourite wind direction. The stronger the better. The largest fish were taken that way.

A wonderful sunrise and spectacular day...

Ripley

P4300004gff.jpg
 Description:
Jan locking horns with Mr Trutta.
 Filesize:  217.53 KB
 Viewed:  545 Time(s)

P4300004gff.jpg

P4300006.jpg
 Description:
Ripley's 40-ish cm'er. Smile says it though!
 Filesize:  191.29 KB
 Viewed:  547 Time(s)

P4300006.jpg

P4300005gff.jpg
 Description:
Jan took this fine 50cm'er.
 Filesize:  226.75 KB
 Viewed:  561 Time(s)

P4300005gff.jpg

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
maciasd

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh boy.....we had a "long weekend" in Poland. so my best friend, our families and me went to coast. NOTHING !!!. 2 OR 3 splashes, one lost during fight and muddy water. lots of nets and f... east wind that coused' that dirrt in the sea.best flies,spinners, best place time and anglers( hi hi).please help.. if the place is known to have silver trout and the time is right should we think that catching is only a matter of time??we still think than we make some mistakes ... what flies were you using?what means close to bank? the pray fish are really close to shore c.a. 2-3 meters so sholuld we fish that close??.. by the way ... U are lucky guys. congratylations..maciek drosd
Esox

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: frustrated Polish dentist Reply with quote
Don't be so down-in-the-mouth. It won't always be like pulling teeth. I have spent days making 1000 casts without a bite. Chew on that for a while. I know that you must be chomping at the bit but just listen to the pros and I'm sure that you will be all smiles soon.

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Down in the dumps Reply with quote
Look at it like this..
The quiet before the storm. Gives you time to prepare!

I have had (along with "Skunked Martin"), been days even weeks without a hit. That's fishing especially for sea trout.

Key words...Determination, persistence, smile.

There's no wrong or right way. Luck and right place at the right time.
Wink

Ripley

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
vanuz

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has really been an explosive day - garfish would not stop eating for a minute. The water was "boiling", garfish all around the place...just could not believed it.

ryby1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.13 KB
 Viewed:  572 Time(s)

ryby1.jpg

Esox

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Garfish Reply with quote
Do you eat those Garfish or do you just kill them? I didn't know if they were a trash fish or a bad fish of some kind. You Europeans seem to take home a lot more fish than us in The States. Of course most of our fish are poisonous to eat from the mercury.

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Garfish Reply with quote
Garfish are actually a fine tasting fish. Wink
Although killing so many is questionable. But who am I to comment?

Ripley

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
vanuz

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Garfish Reply with quote
DistantStreams wrote:
Garfish are actually a fine tasting fish. Wink
Although killing so many is questionable. But who am I to comment?

Ripley

I barely took 3 garfish home to eat. Those are my friendsĀ“ garfish. The garfish slaughter I have seen in Helsingor was just unbelievable. Evil or Very Mad About 60 fishermen lined-up along the coast, each taking more that 10 garfish home...Nothing could have escaped. I gave up after 10 minutes and moved to more quiet waters.
vanuz

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Garfish Reply with quote
Esox wrote:
Do you eat those Garfish or do you just kill them? I didn't know if they were a trash fish or a bad fish of some kind. You Europeans seem to take home a lot more fish than us in The States. Of course most of our fish are poisonous to eat from the mercury.

I do not know any "trash fish" at all. Anything that is in water is meant to be there, thus killing for fun makes no sense to me. BTW, when I was releasing my third garfish in a row, one of the locals came to me saying: are you nuts, why the hell are you releasing them? its food! ...I am not so hungry today...I replied Very Happy
Tight lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: