View topic - An explosive evening - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

An explosive evening
Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Garfish Reply with quote
Just to set things straight about garfish.

These guys come into the danish seas (and the rest of the Baltic) in millions every year in May, and it's tradition that everybody gets out their rods and go fishing. And its tradition to kill everything you catch and eat it. Nobody (or at least only an extremely small fraction) of the Danish anglers kill for fun. Garfish are very delicate and are eaten i large numbers every May.

And let's get an other thing clear: no matter if 100 anglers were standing shoulder by shoulder and each killed 10 or 20 garfish would they be able to make as much as a miniscule dent in the population. The biggest problem in that regard is the mess they leave on the beach!

I have been out today and caught about 20-30 garfish while hooking at least another 50. I released them all, but certainly expect to bring home some another day. They taste great on the barbecue or filleted and deep fried or fried on a pan.

I don't like seeing people being mean to fish or killing for no reason, but I think it's great that people - old and young, families, couples - get out, catch some fish and bring home some for the pan and freezer. Particularly when it's a fish so common that you almost can't avoid catching one in each cast.

Just my two cents...

Martin

Rodney

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like the beach fishing is really good now for garfish. We are looking into trying it out for the first time but not exactly sure where we should go for some beach flyfishing to C&R some gars. Any recommendations around Copenhagen would be fantastic. Smile
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
vanuz

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Rodney Reply with quote
The gars are all around the place Rodney... I also thought I need to go up north to Helsingor for a good fishing day, however, I went to Klampenborg (north of Copenhagen), Jyllinge (Roskille Fjord), North of Helsingor - they are everywhere.
To judge if the spot is a garfish-successful - just look at the beach - if you manage to spot hundreds of gars´ heads, then you know you found the right place. Sad but true.
Re: Martin - I couldn´t possibly write it better than you Very Happy
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rodney wrote:
Any recommendations around Copenhagen would be fantastic. Smile

Rod (and others interested in garfish),

They are everywhere! Around Copenhagen I usually choose the island Amager as my goal. The beaches are easily accessible within short distance and you can find a spot in almost any wind. Look for Amager Strand, 10-øren and Kongelunden on a map and you will have some destinations that work in most wind directions. Bring waders and go fairly far out where you can. The water is very shallow in some of the places.

If you move further away from Copenhagen you of course get fewer people and more beutiful scenery.

Bring a 4 or 5 weight, small bright orange or chartreuse flies in 10, 12 and 14. Blind fish anywhere with varying retrieve, and you are very likely to hook a fish within 10 minutes.

Martin

Grant Banes

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, if there are a lot of fish around and the population isn't really effected by a large harvest like your talking about Martin, more power to ya. Fish are great eating and are so very good for you, why not take some home. I particularly like the fact that this is a family fishery, it's great when the whole family gets out and does things like this together.
Pike

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Garfish fishing Reply with quote
It sounds like a dream to catch over 100 garfish. One friend of mine spent last week in Sweden and he caught some garfish too. What flies do you use for garfish fishing? And when approximately season does start in autumn? I would like to visit Denmark again and it looks like very interesting. Thanks a lot
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Garfish fishing Reply with quote
Pike wrote:
It sounds like a dream to catch over 100 garfish.

Some people consider them a plague, and hate the fact that they are so numerous.

Pike wrote:
What flies do you use for garfish fishing? And when approximately season does start in autumn?

The flies I use are my usual sea trout flies. But if your want real success with garfish on a fly, use very small (12-14-16) flies on wet fly hooks tied in bright colors. Bright red, orange and chartreuse seems to be their favorite.

The autumn season is very different from the spring. In the we see a lot fewer fish and they travel quickly through the Baltic and into the Atlantic. If you want to join the feast, come the first couple of months in May. That's when they're plenty and large. The smaller ones come later and slowly the numbers drop.

Martin

Pike

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: To Martin Reply with quote
Thanks for your help. I visitited Denmark on April for the first time and I like this country very much. Baltic sea seems to be full of fish, countryside is beautiful, so I'll be back soon:-)
BTW: Congratulations. Your Ice hockey team stays in group A for next year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: