View topic - 'shameless Phly Welding... - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

'shameless Phly Welding...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin

Location: Area61 Skunk Works, Kape Kodistan, das Peoples Republik of Taxachusetts USA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: 'shameless Phly Welding... Reply with quote
Bug-Bond strikes again...
Welded Wide Body Phlying Wedge Big Eye Phlat Wing...

Intrederesque...

Welded Wide Body Phlying Wedge Albino Phlat Wing...

HookUp...

HookUp...

Rolling Eyes Exclamation

'Striving for the "JACK C FACTOR" !!!

Last edited by Penguin on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pete,

As always: very nice flies and something that is bound to catch fish!

I've been fooling around with Popovics' Fleye Foils lately and making some small baitfish, but nothing with the variation and fantasy that yours display.

Martin

Last edited by Martin Joergensen on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penguin

Location: Area61 Skunk Works, Kape Kodistan, das Peoples Republik of Taxachusetts USA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: G'day Martin... Reply with quote
I've NEVER been a big phan regarding the pre-phrabricated phly phuselage notion... but...
"if you build it, they will come"...
'might as well have the phur n' pheatherz pre-attached and internal magnets for a click-on-click-off quick-change application...
To each their own... but I digress...
Here's a "Wrapped n' Welded Three Pheather Phlat Wing" that was enthusiastically "assembled" in the Area61 Skunk Works by ME and phinished with BB magic voodoo acrylic...

Penguin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Phalse Albacore Candy... Reply with quote
It's that time of the year again here in the Colonies...
Phleece and T-tailed phunny phish...

Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pete,

I do agree with you on the prefabricated parts, but I doubt that the average tyer is able to obtain with plain materials what can be done with fly foils with less skill. My own first attempt, which I have named the Foileel, does look pretty convincing both above and under water.

Martin

Penguin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: tomorrow's soup de jour... Reply with quote
yesterday's blow turned off today's Albie bite...
'going to splash das boat at phirst light and see if there are any T-tailed phunny phish lookin' for trouble...
weshallsee...

Bug-Bond strikes again...!

Penguin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: the DAZE are numbered... Reply with quote
and the countdown has begun...

phly delivery marine assault vehicle...

priceless...

'GET OUT THERE !!!

Penguin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: \'designated expendable... Reply with quote
The T-tailed phunny phish of DAZE ago have been replaced by marauding inconsiderate bluefish... Shocked
they got this one... Evil or Very Mad
'say bye bye... Rolling Eyes

I'll be back...

FYI...
J-Vise w/ Damascus Jawz direct from Jay Smit in Durban, the BRIGHTEST spot on the DARKEST continent...
NO regrets! Wink

hares ear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Pete,
what happened to wire leaders and "catch and filet" in your neck of the woods,
don't get mad, get even Cool
TL
Florian

Penguin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: catch and fillet is alive and well in the region but... Reply with quote
Aaahhh, Florian, that begs the age old conundrum... Idea

How can you get a job if you have NO experience... Confused
and...
How can you get experience if you have NO job... Question
hmmm...

The T-Tailed Phunny Phish are extremely leader shy... Rolling Eyes
but...
The Yellow Eyed Devil Marauding Snapper Blues have NO regard... Shocked

Use wire and save the phly [which will look as if it was run through a wood chipper] and the False Albies will take a pass...
The toothy muggerz look fashionably cute with their new piercings! Laughing
Gotta' do what you gotta' do...
Consider it a sacrifice to the Phish Gods...
NO worries... there's more where that came from...
Wink

Donald Nicolson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really do admire your flies, although I have been a fresh-water North Country style fly-dresser for most of the time. I have done some salt-water fishing for the smaller cousins of your targets.
I never did subscribe to the attitude that 'mackerel bashing' was strictly for the once-a-year holiday
day fishers. Some of the most exciting fishing experiences have been catching mackerel on light spinning tackle using simple sandeel/silver baitfish imitations. We don't get the tuna on this side much, certainly not to be able be able to develop an obsession with them as you have. I make no bones about it, given the chance, I would have done. I am not sorry about my fishing experience has been mainly with brown trout in our Scottish small burns (creeks), rivers and lochs, using mainly wet flies. But, fishing is fishing, and Halford and his friends were not the only so called 'purists', they can be found in all spheres of fishing, fresh water wet flies are no exception.
I think your flies are superb examples of imitations of fish food, which is what we are all trying to achieve. Great stuff, keep up the good work.. You've cheered me up a lot at 05.00 AM.

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: another wind n\\\\\\\' rain day... Reply with quote
Thank you Donald...
your kind words really do mean a lot to me...
Martin is a wonderful host and has made a great place to visit and share our common and diverse interests...
This is a very civilized and safe harbour in which to spend quality time... GOOD VIBRATIONS !
The phact that I've brightened you day [or anyone's day] with my incoherent banter and photos phrom the phringe, all the better!
I appreciate any and all encouragement!
My background has been almost entirely in shore salt water... with the occasional safari off shore or to the interior where things don't need to washed off at the end of the day...
My sweet water tying is abysmally limited and basically downsized versions of what I tye for my Striper/Blue/Albie phishin'...
This November I'll be spending some quality time with Faruk Ekich [check out his "Ultimate Bobbin" and "Damaseal Vise"... amazing!] at the Int'l Fly Tying Symposium at Somerset, NJ...
I hope to be properly schooled and to return home with some fresh water phuzzie notions...
ya' know what "they" say about teaching an old dog new tricks...
weshallsee!?

This is what the soup de jour has to offer... 'more phalse albie phodder...

#1 Mustad SS Tarpon, Bill's Bodi Braid, Icelandic goat, mylar n' crystal phlash, phoil eyez, and Bug-Bond...

#1 Mustad SS Tarpon, Bill's Bodi Braid, Super Hair, mylar phlash, and Bug-Bond...

hares ear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gentlemen,
I couldn't agree more with Pete, this is a nice and quite place to exchange views on the second best way to spend time.
In my FF life I have tried a few things. Seems there are pros and cons not to live close to fishable water.
I am home to fresh water, fishing the same river in the 33rd season that is close to my birth town, now a three hour drive), and there is and I hope there always will be a fish smarter than me in the water. Besides that my job takes me to prime fishing spots on occasion at leats it used to, these days it is more Asia). That is the way I started in the salt (or as Pete puts it "where you have to rinse the tackle") on the island of Fyn in Denmark. New Zealand and Alaska flights were paid for by someone else in the better days.
I also lived 2 years a little north of Pete on Cape Anne, stripers and blues.

Pete's flies are great, as are the ones Donald showed (as said earlier I teid a few and they were successfull in the Gerrman midlands).
My tying is far from being as presentable as either of yours, but I take great pleasure from exchanging views and the occasional joke.
TL and always a hand of water under the keel (your both boat fisherman and the customary dry socks are meaningless in this case)
Florian
PS @ Pete your saltwater flies would work for Northern Pike without altering a bit. Unfortunately we are in wire tippet territory again, but large trout taking pike streamer don't care that much at least every now and then

Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: 'another rainy day... Reply with quote
Florian... well said... GFF fits nicely in my "Comfort Zone"... Exclamation

'another rainy day... 'more phuzzie notions...

Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pete, Florian, Donald,

Thanks for the kind words. As long as you guys and a few others keep posting, I feel that there's a good reason to keep this running. I enjoy the calm tone and the great flies, and it might not be busy and high traffic, but it has its charm.

Martin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: