View topic - Little Lake, Little Fish, but an enjoyable time. - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Little Lake, Little Fish, but an enjoyable time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant Banes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Little Lake, Little Fish, but an enjoyable time. Reply with quote
I went into a little local lake this morning for the first time in about 5 years. Yardley Lake is a quiet little puddle with a small rough campsite and no other facilities. It used to be about a 40 KM drive to get into it via a maze of logging roads, but last year a new road was pushed in and now it's just a short 9 kms off the highway.

As I drove in exploring the new road I happened to notice a beautiful Mule Deer buck in velvet standing in a clear cut watching me as I drove by. Too bad my camera won't zoom in enough to take a decent pic of wildlife at that range. I arrived at the lake a few minutes later to find that no one was there and I had it to myself. I quickly got my waders on and the pontoon boat unloaded, got it done quick mainly because the mosquitoes were pretty bad.

I watched the lake for a bit and noticed quite a few fish rising so I rigged up my fly rod with my floating line and tied on a mayfly emerger pattern. I hit a few fish, then I changed up to a small soft hackle pattern and the fun really started. For about three hours I seem to at least got a hit on almost every cast. As you can see by the pics I've posted the fish weren't the largest, but it was still a fun having the lake to myself and catching so many fish. I actually think the lake needs more fishing pressure to lower the population son that maybe the fish would grow larger, too many fish not enough feed.

About noon I decided to head out. On the drive out I came across two decent sized Black Bears and two more Mule deer crossing the road. All and all, a pretty good morning.

Yardley June 4-06.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.79 KB
 Viewed:  395 Time(s)

Yardley June 4-06.JPG

Yardley 04-06 Pretty little Bow.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.58 KB
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)

Yardley 04-06 Pretty little Bow.JPG

Yardley 04-06 Little bow.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.46 KB
 Viewed:  399 Time(s)

Yardley 04-06 Little bow.JPG

Last edited by Grant Banes on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Grant Banes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
One more pic

Yardley Lake june 4 -06.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.35 KB
 Viewed:  391 Time(s)

Yardley Lake june 4 -06.JPG

Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Grant,

Great little report! Thanks for sharing... and too bad about the zoom on that camera! ;-)

Martin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: