View topic - My Favorite Dad - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

My Favorite Dad
Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rybolov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: The Secrets of Turkey Run Reply with quote
They just added a "No wading or swimming" sign earlier this year. I think it's mostly for CYA purposes on the part of the government. I'm not the only one hopping across the islands, and I have yet to have any problem with somebody telling me to get out of the water.

I don't think the park police make it past the parking lot, which is a pretty good setup. But there is a liability issue if you decide to drown yourself in a national park.

I've seen some pretty large carp in the slow deep area right below Langley Island. Haven't hooked one yet. Not quite sure why, but I think it's only a matter of time before I do.

Cheers
--Mike

rybolov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dads Reply with quote
Esox wrote:
My best fish there has been an 18 incher.

I landed a similar fish last year at Turkey Run. It was a total surprise because I was letting my line hang below me while I was moving, and the bass hit it while I was busy looking for a better place to step.

I've lost 2 that size in just the past 2 weeks at Turkey Run--using Skip's Dad, of course. One was while I was fishing with Paul, and I thought he was going to pass out seeing that fish jump out of the water. Rolling Eyes

Esox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doesn't tha Potomac look good today? Nestle's Quick with lumps.

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
rybolov

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Esox wrote:
Doesn't tha Potomac look good today? Nestle's Quick with lumps.

I think I saw a house floating by the other day. Laughing

However, it will kick the food sources out of the edges and into the prime fish habitat. It's a good time to use crayfish patterns until the fish are all full, at which point they stop eating.

revolution.kirk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice story, fish and crawfish pattern rybolov! I'll have to give it a shot up here in wisconsin. Sorry to hear about the flooding out east, looks pretty bad. Out here the rivers are way below normal water level, figures eh?

Most of the warm water rivers around here are packed with crawfish and smallmouth as well. However most of the water is stained pretty dark (from tanic acid) so I might have to subsitute some brighter colors.

Here are a few I've picked up recently despite the extreamly hot weather recently.

smallies!

The bright colors and synthetics might make some cringe, but they work!

kirk o.
Esox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Hey Rybolov Reply with quote
I walked up to the pipeline above Riverbend Park yesterday. I spent about five hours making a huge clockwise circle starting at the lower rapids and ending up in the same spot. I caught about two dozen Smallmouths on poppers, muddlers, clousers, and my own Dad immitation in black. Saw lots of Smallmouth Bass in the still waters and caught most of mine in or just below moving water. Slow retrieve. Fast retrieve. No retrieve. Even with the air temp in the mid 90's the fish were active right through the afternoon. And those big strange Bluegills (What are they? Red-eared Sunfish or Warmouth? Never saw them in Massachusetts) fight like dogs and keep your attention when there are no bass on the line. But the bass are small. The biggest one I caught was about ten inches and the biggest one I saw was maybe two pounds. Are they averaging any bigger than that down at Turkey Run?

What a great way to spend a hot afternoon. Up to my waist in clear, flowing, relatively cool water catching fish.

rybolov

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Rybolov Reply with quote
Esox wrote:
Are they averaging any bigger than that down at Turkey Run?

That's about average for what I'm catching, with the occassional 18-inch or so big bass to make things interesting. About the time that you start to feel guilty about how many 12-inch smallmouth you are catching, a nice one will tie you on. I've only landed one big slab of bass, the others have managed to elude me thus far. Rolling Eyes

rybolov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Fished Turkey Run this Weekend Reply with quote
... and there were people fishing there. I told them to do a web search for Turkey Run and flyfish and they could find my article. Wink

For those of us who are curious about the fishing, I caught a ton of redbreasted sunfish and some of the smaller smallmouth. I lost one big fish that I think was a catfish.

The water is the lowest I have seen it and very wadeable, which is a good change after the floods earlier this year.

Esox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Turkey Run Reply with quote
I fished Riverbend Saturday and did much as you did. Lots of those scrappy sunfish with the big mouths and a bunch of small Smallmouth bass. I did have a two pounder on for one jump and a much bigger fish rolled at a popper but didn't care to eat it. I have never seen the river this low. I went out to the Shenandoah near Berryville on Sunday to take a look and there are sand and gravel bars where they have never been before. Lots of big carp as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: