View topic - PIKE FLIES - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

PIKE FLIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly tying - Tie Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rybolov

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Bunny Bug? Reply with quote
I'm surprise nobody has mentioned the bunny bug yet. It's a pike classic, and I first heard about it in Pike on the Fly http://www.amazon.com/Pike-Fly-Flyfishermans-Northerns-Muskies/dp/1555661130. Tie it on a larger saltwater hook, it has bead-chain eyes, bunny strip tail, some flash in the tail to make it shiny, and the body is palmered bunny strip. It's durable (you can catch 20 pike on it and it's still very useable--the pike are chewing on leather!!!), easy to tie, and effective.

The only bad thing about it is that a wet bunny bug is a pain to cast because it weighs about as much as a small brookie. I would recommend a 9-weight line and maybe a shooting head system just to get it out there.

Cheers
--Mike

Esox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Bunny Strips Reply with quote
I find Bunny Strips of all kinds lethal for Largemouth Bass as well. I use super glue on the hook shank and it helps keep the fly alive. They really do last along time. They are perfect for that s l o w retrieve that Bigmouth's love to eat.

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
Dada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Pike flies.... Reply with quote
Hey colleagues,
I just returned from Costa Rica, where I ve been for three months. And there I learned totally new type of streamers for tarpons and snooks.... I was very surprised, but I totatally felt in love with silicon flies........ Very Happy They are not to easy to cast, but its not impossible....Just sipmle double houl and nothing else....... I came back 3 weeks ago and I tried them here, but wrong place and wrong time. I caught just 1 about 4 pounds....... But after that my friend told me that my pike in this part of river was first in last week....... And there is normally 5 to 10 spin fishers in a day. And I mean spining is still more efective than flyfishing, mostly!!!! Just tell me please, what you mean about it......??? Peace D.

Last one on picture is to much......... Rolling Eyes

Pike.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.85 KB
 Viewed:  904 Time(s)

Pike.JPG

Philly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Siliclone. A go to fly along the New Jersey(USA) coast for at least the last ten years or so. Extremely effective when the mullet are migrating south along the coast in the fall.
I tie them in various sizes for fresh and salt water. Fresh water, mainly for Largemouth, Smallmouth Bass, Muskie and Pike. Saltwater for striped bass and bluefish.
I tie mine out of a material called Polar Plus, rather than wool. It's put out by the same company that does Polar Fiber. Makes for a lighter fly and one that will float like a cork if treated with a liquid floatant. Plus if you tie them in white, you can use permanent markers to color them before applying the silicone. I'll take a couple of pictures of the ones I've tied up and post them

Philly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are a couple of Siliclone flies that Dada mentioned that I use for both pike and in salt water for Striped Bass and Bluefish.

Siliclones_SW_Pike.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.91 KB
 Viewed:  874 Time(s)

Siliclones_SW_Pike.jpg

Dada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Sili..... Reply with quote
Hey Philly,
I think we ve same inspiration......Do you know Bob Popowich?His book was my inspiration, when I ve been in Costa Rica, trying to create good snook and tarpon flies...... But now Iam back in czech and I am not able to do it for a pike........ So your silicons are working for a pike?
Philly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dada:
I've met BobPop several times. He's very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge. I was tying his flies, fleyes as he calls them, long before the book came out. I bought the book as soon as it came out. I find the pictures of the bait fish useful, when tying patterns, and it's a great reference when I need to refresh my mind on how to tie a particular pattern.
I've caught pike on the two middle flies in the picture. The top one is new, tied on an 8/0 Partridge pike hook, and I didn't get a chance to fish it when I was in Canada this summer, and so is the bottom one, that's tied on a 4/0 Partridge. I'm counting the day's till next year's Canadian trip. We do have pike here in Pennsylvania, but not within a reasonable drive for me. We also have muskie, tiger muskie(a cross between a muskie and a pike), and chain pickerel much closer to home, and they're in the same family as pike. So I'll be going after them when I have time.

Jens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Pike Fly Reply with quote
Hello

here, sometimes a pike fly by me

Greetings and always Stramm Band

Jens

www.meerforellenfliege-and-mehr.de

Bucktail Hecht Streamer Pink 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.94 KB
 Viewed:  543 Time(s)

Bucktail Hecht Streamer Pink 2.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly tying - Tie Better All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: