View topic - Crayfish flies.... - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Crayfish flies....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly tying - Tie Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Crayfish flies.... Reply with quote
Hey Guys,
I ve just question... Do you ve any experience with crayfish flies? For another type of fish then bass like here...http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/my-favorite-dad/ ??? Because Iam trying to creat fly which is imitate this but Iam not sure how....?? And how to work with this fly.....
rybolov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Crayfish flies.... Reply with quote
Dada wrote:
Hey Guys,
I ve just question... Do you ve any experience with crayfish flies?

Hi Dada

Skip's Dad is a fairly realistic fly (that's why I like it, along with the fact that it's simple to tie) and it works for fish other than bass. Tie it in #10-14 for trout and use some smaller dumbell eyes. You can either fish it dead-drift (whichever nymph style you prefer--indicator or Czech style) or strip it in like you would a woolly bugger.

Another crayfish fly is a Foxee Clouser (Clouser with brown and rust colors), although thats more of what a crayfish would look like if Picasso painted it--it's a highly impressionistic fly.

Of course, I'm biased because I wrote the article. Laughing

Dada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ouuuhhhh......
Ok, thanks for it. I know troutsll like it but I am trying to tie bigger and use them for our barsch,zander and may be pike too...... I think on 4 or 2 will work....Bacause this size I saw in barchs stomack.... Very Happy But I ve to use very fast sinking line to get it on bottom.....Because the river is 2-3meters(10 feet) deep and stream is no so slow.....So its another complication...... But I think your 20inches slow strips ll work good......What you mean about this?
rybolov

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dada wrote:
Ouuuhhhh......
But I think your 20inches slow strips ll work good......What you mean about this?

Do a good 60cm (translating into euro-speak =) ) strip but do it slowly so it takes a good 4 seconds to do. The whole idea is that you are a crayfish walking across the bottom of the river/lake and going about your business unaware of the verocious predator stalking you from above.

Dada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello there....
the another think, as a little child(Iam still child:)) Iwas very interesting in entomoligy and I study crayfish a little too.... The think which I mena now is that crayfish has a stadium, evry moths they are changing the skin and processll take about two days and a couple of my friends told me this time is the most interesting for a fish because they are week, soft and his colour is nearly white......So may be it ll be better to tie very bright.......What you mean about that???? Wink
rybolov

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dada wrote:
Hello there....
the another think, as a little child(Iam still child:)) Iwas very interesting in entomoligy and I study crayfish a little too.... The think which I mena now is that crayfish has a stadium, evry moths they are changing the skin and processll take about two days and a couple of my friends told me this time is the most interesting for a fish because they are week, soft and his colour is nearly white......So may be it ll be better to tie very bright.......What you mean about that???? Wink

Yes, we call them "soft craw" in the US. They're actually quite pretty to look at, with tints of blue, green, but mostly gray. You can tiie a Skip's Dad with gray haretron dubbing to give it that soft craw look.

Cheers
--Mike

houdini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Clouser crayfish is the most successful imitation I have used.
http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/clouserCrayfish/clouserCrayfish.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly tying - Tie Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: