View topic - Blue Chironomids? - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Blue Chironomids?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant Banes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Blue Chironomids? Reply with quote
Some of the fellows at the FlyBC website have been talking about blue chironomids. I've tyed up a few and was wondering about peoples thoughts on these little bugs. I tie some soft hackle patterns with blue peacock breast feathers and they work well, so I guess a blue chironomids could work also.

Blue Chironamid 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.38 KB
 Viewed:  1021 Time(s)

Blue Chironamid 001.jpg

rybolov

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Blue Chironomids? Reply with quote
Grant Banes wrote:
I guess a blue chironomids could work also.

I've seen chironies in many different colors. If chartreuse and purple work, why not blue? Remember that fish see differently than we do, and that light is filtered as it goes down through the water column. It's the same reason you would use a purple steelhead fly.

By the way, I love chironimids. I've spent too many hours hooking large fish on small flies from a float tube. The hooking was good, the landing wasn't so great, but it sure was fun.

Grant Banes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm pretty much a chironomid freak also. I love first thing in the spring and fall fishing with them. It is pretty cool getting a 10 lbs Rainbow to take such a little pattern. We'll see if these blue guys work come September and October before the ice comes back on.
Grant Banes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally got the chance to try out these little blue Chroni's today on Bellos lake. Although the weather was a little off and on all day, overall it was good fishing. I caught a number of rainbows that topped out at around 20 inch. The largest on the blue chroni's was about 14 inch.

A little rain must fall.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.09 KB
 Viewed:  850 Time(s)

A little rain must fall.JPG

First fish on Blue Chroni (Bellos Lake).JPG
 Description:
Not exactly a huge fish, but it was the first one on the new pattern.
 Filesize:  138.26 KB
 Viewed:  885 Time(s)

First fish on Blue Chroni (Bellos Lake).JPG

kevin compton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Blue Chiromid Patterns Reply with quote
Blue chironomid patterns can also be effective on freestone streams and tailwaters. On the South Platte (tailwater) in Colorado, Stan Benton's Blue Midge works well some days, often when nothing else will. The pattern is featured in Ed Engle's Tying Small Flies. The dubbing prescribed is chopped & blended Arizona Sparkle Yarn (Black/Blue). Arizona (John Rohmer) may have discontinued the Sparkle Yarn, however. Their Diamond Braid may work as well) The body can be any metallic tinsel, or even wire (UTC carries their Ultra Wire now in a Blue, x-small and up).

Where in the water (stillwaters) do you guys fish these midges? Close to the bottom, with a slow retrieve, or in the surfact film?

Grant Banes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a good looking pattern Kevin. I may just have to give it a try.....thanx
DonaldN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Blue Bead Buzzer Reply with quote
This is a Blue Bead Buzzer I tied (?) recently.

The bead buzzers can be useful fished on the point with a team of buzzers on stillwaters.
A large Blue buzzer

There are other bead buzzers on
http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/page55.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: