View topic - Pike wire - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Pike wire
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasper Mühlbach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Pike wire Reply with quote
Guys,

what are your experiences about pike wire?
What do you prefer?
Any comments about stiffness, softness, numbers of strands against strength etc?

A big pike cut my leader yesterday, with a clean bite!

Kasper
rybolov

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Tiger Tail?? Reply with quote
I've heard that Tiger Tail works pretty well. It's used for crafts, and is a wire line with a plastic coating. You can use a lighter to fuse the plastic on the knots together.

http://www.the-beadshop.co.uk/prod_list.asp?catid=404

jawz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hard Wire Reply with quote
Hi Kasper.

I've used Malin's HardWire
http://www.malinco.com/fishing/hardwire.html
For my pike rigs, I usually tie( or rather twist) the wire on the hook in advance, and then connect the wire to the leader using an albright knot.
The hard-wire was developed and is used for barracuda fishing, so it should stand up to pikes too. Its fairly inexpensive but kinks easily.
I have so much of it that I'll be happy to supply some, for you to try out, just email me your address.
I haven't been lucky yet (nor tried that hard) to catch a pike on the fly, so in actual fishing circumstancens, I actually don't know how well they'll stand the test. But they cast the fly well.

-Jari
HaRRi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tiger Tail, never heard. Do you know if there is some other wire brand which is working with twist knot (with lighter)?
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaRRi wrote:
Tiger Tail, never heard. Do you know if there is some other wire brand which is working with twist knot (with lighter)?

Harri,

Look for Drennan Pike Wire, which is available in many tackle shops. That is also a coated wire, which can be twisted and melted to bond.

Martin

HaRRi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. Normally I use Fortress predator and never have tried melting wires with a lighter. First time I saw this method used, was in Danish pike fishing video. And now I would like to try it...
Matej Muhelyi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: pike wire Reply with quote
Hi Kasper,
If I´m fishing in clear water (what probably you too) I prefer fluorocarbon leader
http://www.flylines.com/Flylines_Accessories_TippetsLeaders.cfm
(Airfo - Sightfree) in 12 and 15lb. It is very stiffness, but must be use´d free knot that fly has right movement. If water is not clear then I use flies at which fluorocarbon dont have any importance(sparklers and flies with reflect or expresive colour as chartreuse).
Then I use classical monofil with thickness 0,50-0,65mm. I think a lot of firms sells this monofil as ´´Hard Mono´´. Wink

0118.JPG
 Description:
This is my big baby.. :)))
 Filesize:  152.55 KB
 Viewed:  1046 Time(s)

0118.JPG

Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Nice pike! Reply with quote
Matej,

Some pike! Nice catch. Congratulations.

Martin

Philly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen Musky that big, but not a pike. I do most of my pike fishing when I do a yearly trip to Ontario, Canada, mid to late July, so big pike aren't really an issue. What I do catch range from hammer handles up to around 30 inches. I use fluorocarbon tippet usually 20 lb or 30 lb, not sure what that translates to in kg. There's a coated, knotable wire marketed over here as Tyger Wire. Might be Tiger Tail, under a different name. I picked up some to see how it stood up to bluefish. I've been able to tie an improved clinch in the 5 lb and 15 lb wire. It gets a bit harder as you go to the heavier wire.
One trick I use for bluefish is to tie some flies on a long shanked hook, starting the fly on the back half or back third of the shank. With the front part of the shank providing the bite guard.

Kasper Mühlbach

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matej,

what a heavy catch! Do you know how many fish you loose compared to how many you bring to hand?
I have never tried "hard mono" abd I am a little skeptical.

Kasper
rybolov

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Hard Mono Reply with quote
Kasper Mühlbach wrote:
I have never tried "hard mono" abd I am a little skeptical.

Hard mono is good, you just have to check it after each fish. The easiest way is to run the mono between your lips in case your hands are cold.

I've used 25-lb Mason hard mono for quite a few years. Pike usually aren't leader-shy, and the higher weight leader means that it's thicker. Laughing

Dada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Pike wire... Reply with quote
I was looking for good wire, when I tried ultra light spin fishing. In thi time I was very satisfied with wolfram wire made by I think Jaxon, its poland company. This I am using still, but another chance is Tyger wire, this I used in Costa Rica and its perfect!!!

www.tygerleader.com

And here is small crocodile picture, taken by czech guy on our dam. small is about 20 inches.

15493.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.49 KB
 Viewed:  1023 Time(s)

15493.jpg

Esox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: My Big Baby Reply with quote
Holy crap, Matej. That is a nice pike. Where did you catch it? We call pike that big watermelon. Fantastic. Check on YouTube and type in Pike Bite. There is a guy getting his hand shredded while releasing a small pike.

And what happened in your picture, Dada? Looks like another fun fishing expirience.

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
Matej Muhelyi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: BIG FISH!!! Reply with quote
Hi Esox, that video is great!!! Shocked Very nice. My pike was caught on reservoir Žilina. I live 5 km from this reservoir. There are big big pike, some waylle, and nice brown and rainbown trout. Last weekend I was there and it is unbelievable. I was want to fish some Confused I do not know how it say hmm ´´church´´? fish like waylle, there where I caugt my biggest pike. On first cast came contact with big fish. It was pike!!! Very Happy
On my rod was 0,20 fluocarbon and two little boobies Very Happy I don´t know how I was get this fish. It was gooood luck Wink after take fish from water, fluocarbon do ´´puk´´! Laughing but fish already was in my hands....

pike 2006.JPG
 Description:
there is baby :)))) caugh on little yellow booby
 Filesize:  225.39 KB
 Viewed:  1011 Time(s)

pike 2006.JPG

Dada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Matej.... Reply with quote
Hei Body....
You are living not more than 400km from me. And your pikes look like from another planet!!!!! Iam living in Prague and Iam not able to get fish like this on the rod! Sometimes we have good fishing but fish no more than 70 cm, usually 40 to 60cm. So could you recommend me where? Lakes, ponds, creeks, rivers or what? And your catch on bobby?????? You kidding???? Gooood catch..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: