View topic - Pike wire - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Pike wire
Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scandicangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I've tried all sorts of wire and mono leaders over the years, but through this season I've used titanium single strand leaders only - works perfect. This is what pikers has been looking for for years.

It is possible to tie the titanium in 20 or 30 lbs. and attached to a small swivel in one end and to a fas-snap (actually what its called...) in the fly end, you're ready to go.

This leader is bulletproof - no pike bites through - it has very little weight - no kinks or curls - easy to change fly - very little visibility.

It may look a bit fragile on the picture, but I've had a 0% failure rate on more 100 pikes this season - four of them big ladies over 105 cm. No flies has left the fas-snap by mistake.

I admit that they are a bit expensive to make - but they'll outlast any other pikeleader I've come across.

Peter

ScierraPike_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.78 KB
 Viewed:  780 Time(s)

ScierraPike_01.JPG

hopper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I completely agree with @scandicangler/Peter about single strand titanium - it's absolutely the best material with really no faults (strong, reliable, light, thin, flexible, kink-free) and I have tried everything else as well!

Not sure about those fas-nap's though. I have had failures using the Mustad version so now I avoid them. The only reliable snaps I have found are the fastach & smart lock snaps, both in size 2 or the stay-lok snap in size 1 (but this doesn't alway take the flys eye easily). These are the smallest sizes that will work reliably but also minimise weight.

I am still working on the best way to attach snaps and oval rings to the Ti (my traces have a light oval ring at one end and a fastach at the other). Some Ti takes a perfection loop well, otherwise a tucked clinch knot. You can use crimps, but ones that are light enough are not a really good grip on the very slippery surface of the Ti and I have had one fail. I am also experimenting with whipping a loop at each end with mono and then covering with UV gel and this is both light and (so far) reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: