View topic - Flyfishing for perch - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Flyfishing for perch
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodney

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Flyfishing for perch Reply with quote
So we had our first outing yesterday since my arrival in Denmark. Who turned the heater on? It was so warm! Smile Not that I am complaining, as Vancouver was experiencing some serious snowfall with sub-zero temperature when I left. Confused

Anyways, I connected with my first european perch on the fly yesterday. It wasn't too feisty on the 6wt but I was pretty excited nevertheless. Firsts on the fly always are.

Basically, I tied up (or attempted to) some #2 flashy streamers the day before I flew over.

European perch.

My choice of weapon.

My fish from yesterday.

I've read the article available on GFF a few times. It is a great read. What are your favorite flies for european perch and what technique have you used successfully while targeting them? Wink

Take care all. Smile

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
vanuz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: perch Reply with quote
I am using any shiny or red coloured streamers, preferably with a golden head. Perch is my favourite species, it is by no means a fastidious fish, it basicaly grabs anything that moves! You just need to find the spot. I wish I could take to one of my favorite perch lake near CPH, hovewer, the season is over. Where have you been fishing these days?

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.87 KB
 Viewed:  514 Time(s)

2.jpg

Rodney

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Vanuz, my fishing opportunities are fairly limited as I only have access of a car on weekends sometimes and the primary purpose of my visit here is to spend time with girlfriend. Embarassed Last Sunday was our first trip out at Tryggevælde River (that's basically where we fish most of the time, as we do not know many spots). I'll go whenever I can, weekdays I can go while she's at school too. Located in Valby. Smile
vanuz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rodney wrote:
Hi Vanuz, my fishing opportunities are fairly limited as I only have access of a car on weekends sometimes and the primary purpose of my visit here is to spend time with girlfriend. Embarassed Last Sunday was our first trip out at Tryggevælde River (that's basically where we fish most of the time, as we do not know many spots). I'll go whenever I can, weekdays I can go while she's at school too. Located in Valby. Smile

Well, even though I have a car 24/7, I spent the whole week at work. It is dark already when I am coming back home. Thus, I am also free on weekends only Sad
... btw, no problem putting you both in my car and go fishing if you like. I have never fished "a river" in Denmark, and I´d love to...Is there any special day-card needed out at Tryggevælde River? I am based in Hellerup.
Rodney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The day fee for Tryggevælde River is 75 Kroners (25 Kroners between June and August I think). You can either purchase it online on this page or at the gas station just before you arrive at the river.

It's not bad, we like it there as we rarely see people fishing it, at least on the stretch where we fish. On Sunday we fished the mid stretch and didn't encounter any anglers. On the lower end, we saw around half a dozen anglers at the end of the day. The lower end towards the river mouth is more heavily vegetated with only a few access points, but they tend to be dry banks. The middle section is wide open and can be accessed with ease, but it is rather muddy and saturated with water so waders are necessary. When it gets colder, the bank is more solid and walking around is easier, but fingers are colder. Confused

A day trip to Tryggevælde River can certainly be arranged. Smile Maybe others are also interested? Wink

vanuz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rodney wrote:

A day trip to Tryggevælde River can certainly be arranged. Smile Maybe others are also interested? Wink

If I am not on a business trip to Slovakia this weekend, we may give it a chance. I´ll let you know as soon as I am sure. What kind of fish can be caught there?
Rodney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both Saturday and Sunday morning and early afternoon are open right now for me but I know a few others are going to get back to me so plans may change, but will confirm as well.

Maybe Martin wants to come too. Wink

The target species would be perch and pike. Once awhile you would by-catch a sea trout as well while spinning for perch, but of course those are closed for targeting (or just keeping?) this time of the year.

Here are a few photos from last winter at Tryggevælde. I've never really caught any gigantic pike, all the ones have been a couple of kg, but I have seen some big ones rolling around.

Rodney

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A few new photos to share. Smile

Today we were out for perch briefly. The head wind was a bit stronger than expected so the spinning gear came out.

Last week we were out for sea trout on the coast for a bit. No luck, but the coastal scenary was quite nice.

If anyone still wants to do a trip to Trygg, maybe after Christmas as the feast is about to begin for a few days. Smile

Seasons greetings all.

vanuz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rodney wrote:
A few new photos to share. Smile

Today we were out for perch briefly. The head wind was a bit stronger than expected so the spinning gear came out.

...beautifil perch, the surroundings look like the one in Ishoj...
Rodney

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, we were told to go to Ishøj for perch. Smile Nina and I decided to get on the train and do a bit of exploring today and found the water pretty easily.

Even with spinners, I found it rather frustrating today as most people were primarily fishing with bait (ie. live roach etc) and hauling in one fish after another one. I do a bit of bait fishing back home but personally I would find it rather repetitive if they are striking on every cast. Anyways, some big perch in there. Shocked Any experiece with flies there?

vanuz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rodney wrote:
Yes, we were told to go to Ishøj for perch. Smile

Any experiece with flies there?

I was there this week - for the first time. Funny, but I was also told to go to Ishøj for perch Smile)) - and since I did not have enough time to drive down to Trygg, I chose that place. Initially, I planned to go flyfishing, however, the weather was a bit harsh in Ishøj, therefore I packed out my spinning rod and got some nice perch.

I have just booked for Ishøj on Monday, definitely want to try flyfishing, if the weather allows me to. Wanna come?
Rodney

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monday... absolutely love to, but family Christmas lunch... Confused I have Christmas lunches on the 25th, 26th, 28th. That's funny you were there for the first time too. I was somewhat discouraged since the fish were pounded pretty heavily by bait, thought they would not even take a look at a lure after being so well fed and hooked. I found the side with the water gate much deeper and easier to fish, where as the other side seems to be very populated with skalle/roach (we accidentally foul hooked a few when spinning, kept bumping into them). Quite an interesting fishery, I've never seen so many big ones congregating in one particular spot.
vanuz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, that place is full of fish, probably gathering together for winter. I´d rather try flyfishing as I almost left the place dissapointed after having fished for about 15 minutes while hooking roach from outside, I could not avoid it.... Flyfishing should do the job, though. A nice seatrout (about 60-70cm) was also caught there, at least I suppose it was one, since it was caught on the opposite bank.
Hmmmm, you´re too busy as far as I can see, I may as well be free on the 27th....
Dada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Fly fish for perch.. Reply with quote
Hello there,
Very nice perch Rodney. Its very nice to see that somebody will estimate a valueation of this fish, because in my country perch is kind of weed....Iam used to fish for them with boat around banks of our dams. During summer we fish for them with poppers and its pretty good fun.But fish like you caught is not a lot and find school of fish in this size(3 up to 5) is very rare. Medium size is on picture...
With regards DADA

And Rodney----very nice pages!!!!!

iii.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.28 KB
 Viewed:  503 Time(s)

iii.JPG

Rodney

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vanuz, don't plan your trip around my schedule on the 27th just yet as I still have to confirm with the boss/gf. Shocked Even though it is a Christmas lunch-free day I suspect something related will require my attention as well. I will post as soon as I find out exactly what has been expected from me. Smile

Dada, back in British Columbia, our primary target species are salmon, trout and steelhead so being able to explore species in other families is extremely exciting for me. Smile By the way, did you just sign up in our discussion forum as I accidentally deleted your new account. Confused We have been overloaded with spammers lately, resulting in a dozen fake account deletions, sometimes I end up deleting the ones I should not. Please feel free to sign up again. Wink

Also, back to the original topic, let's see some of your favorite perch flies. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: