View topic - Gear for Tobago - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Gear for Tobago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyaddict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Gear for Tobago Reply with quote
I will possibly be heading to Trinidad and Tobago. Mainly Toboago. I was wondering what gear I would need to bring. I can't find much information at all on the web.

Thx guys

Todd
flyaddict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Trinidad and Tobago Reply with quote
Hi,

I was in Trinidad and Tobago back in 1991 and again in 1994 with the military but managed to cart along my fly rod.
The amount of choice is overwhelming and I took no end of lovely bonefish and tarpon at night fishing from some local piers. The rascals would cruise by in the light of the pier and gave some hair tingling fighting!

You best bet is to arm yourself with a good average rod weight 9, floating line / shooting head for saltwater.
Take a mixture of fly patterns for bonefish and tarpon.

There are nice small quality streams and creeks too so take a long a 5 / 6 weight.

There are numerous flats to target with tarpon, permit, bonefish and other wierd and wonderful species. Tarpon are the prize with 50 to 90lb'ers a common goal.

Charlotteville, man 'o war, kings and bloody bay are worth a crack and if you can, get out to marble island or Little Tobago Island located in the NE section of the island. The latter is a good bird-watching paradise.

A variety of accomodations are available, from international resorts to local hotels and villas. For more information, contact the Tourism and Inudustrial Development Company Ltd. of Trinidad and Tobago at 888-595-4TNT or 868-623-1932, or visit WWW.VisitTNT.Com.

If you want to hire a guide then try these sites...
Hard Play Charters (868-639-7788, fax 868-639-7108) offers two charter boats, the 39-foot pirogue Hard Play ($475/day) or the 31-foot Bertram Pegasus ($550/day).

An outfitter specializing in fly fishing and traveling to both islands can help plan sport-fishing packages to meet any needs. Island Style Enterprises (407-696-6744) knows the islands - accommodations, restaurants, rental car companies and charters - and is experienced in all types of sport fishing. There is no additional charge for its services.

Have a great time, don't forget your hat, sun block and avoid hurricane season!

Rip

2010 Mongolia
2011 North Pole: Anglo-American Trans-Arctic Expedition

www.mongolia2010.com
flyaddict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply! My Inlaws have an apartment on Castara Bay on the NorthWest shore of Tabago. From Google Earth it all looks like deep drop offs and not to many flats, but its not clear. Any other places on the web I may find better maps of the island?

Thanks again. Very helpful.
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote
I don't know of any other maps for Tobago or information.

My time there was purely military business so I didn't really have that much time to fly fish and explore further.

Remember to wear sandals as there can be nasty surprises lurking in the sand!

Water! Drink plenty...

RD

2010 Mongolia
2011 North Pole: Anglo-American Trans-Arctic Expedition

www.mongolia2010.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: