View topic - Split cane blank/kit - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Split cane blank/kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Rod Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Split cane blank/kit Reply with quote
GFF'ers,

I'm thinking about building a split cane rod from a blank, and have been scooting around to find something to start on.

I have found several possible sources, but don't want to spend a fortune. I'm not a routined rod builder (I built ONE rod in my time, and it was miserable!), so I want to start modestly and just see how it works. UK blanks are available from about 60-70 £ and kits from about 100 £. This is about what I plan on offering.

Anybody have any experience with such blanks or kits?
Any recommendations?

Martin

PS: I will of course make an article on the whole process.

Sarunas_St

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Martin Smile

In ebay.com You can find something for rod building,like blanks,guides,cork and other..
Now there are this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bamboo-Fly-Rod-Blank-by-Fitch_W0QQitemZ300048494588QQihZ020QQcategoryZ23819QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300048494588
Maybe it will be useful for You..
Also in this forum I think You will find help http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/ Wink
Kalby64

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Martin,
I've never seen a cane rod build from a kit, but there is a guy here in Bremen, (Rolf Baginski), who has offered weekend courses in the past, to build a cane rod from spliting the bambo, to putting epoxy on the wraps. A friend took part in the course last year, and although he had no experience in rod building, build a very nice, useable rod over the weekend.
Here is his homepage if you are interested: http://www.baginski-fly-rods.com/index.html

Take care
Paul
rybolov

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Split cane blank/kit Reply with quote
Martin Joergensen wrote:
UK blanks are available from about 60-70 £ and kits from about 100 £.

That's about $200 in 'merican. Share your sources, please. Wink

Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Split cane blank/kit Reply with quote
rybolov wrote:
Martin Joergensen wrote:
UK blanks are available from about 60-70 £ and kits from about 100 £.

That's about $200 in 'merican. Share your sources, please. Wink

I have been searching the web and my best bet for an inexpensive kit is British Norman-Agutters. They have blanks from 65£ and kits with cork, rings, ferrules and everything from about 110£. That seems like a price range where I can afford to experiment with cane rod building.

Martin

jawz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Something to strive for Reply with quote
Hi Martin, and all others interested in rodbuilding.

Check out the rods from J.D. Wagner:
http://www.wagnerrods.com/limited.html

The quality of the work layn down in these rods is simply astonishing and truly something to strive for in building rods. I particularly like the rods where the continued cane make up the handle, and the once with ebony inlay in front of the handle.

-Jari
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Rod Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: