View topic - saltwater flyfishing - advice needed! - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

saltwater flyfishing - advice needed!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonathan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: saltwater flyfishing - advice needed! Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I'm new to saltwater fly fishing and I need a little help on a typical setup for sea trout. Embarassed

1 - What breaking strain of leader?
2 - What length of leader? ( My rod is 10.5ft #7/8 )
3 - Tapered leader or just "straight from the spool"?
4 - Weight Forward or Shooting Head?
5 - Floating line or intermediate?
6 - Are "polyleaders" recommended?

Thank you
Jonathan

´¯`·._.·´¯`·.><((((((º>
`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·.><((((((º>
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: One question = many Reply with quote
Hi Jonathan,

I am sure you'll get hundreds of answers, all different.
There's no real formula or correct way. As you progress, you'll find what works for you.

I can answer with my experience and what works for me.

What breaking strain of leader?
Basically you want a tapered leader to allow a good turn over and presentation, tapered to a tippet of around 23mm. Some, and including myself, have used tippets as fine as 15 to 20mm. But as a beginning, I would go for 23 to 25mm.
Expect average fish weights of 2 to 4kg.

What length of leader? ( My rod is 10.5ft #7/8 )?
That's weather permitting.
Normal conditions - 9ft.
Night and strong wind - 7ft
Calm, summer, crystal clear water - up to 12ft, maybe more...
A 7/8 rod, for some, may be to heavy. But that depends on what species your targeting.
I use, and always have used a #5 in all weathers and seasons. I have never had a problem.
As an average, good all round rod...A #6/7 handles everything.
Tropical species, the above does not apply.

Tapered leader?
I answered that. Tapered.

WF or SH?
Personal preference. I use WF.
As most sea trout lurk CM's from the shore line, distance isn't a priority. If you love casting...Then perhaps a SH.

Floating line or intermediate?
Both.
I use floating.
Intermediate still catches fish but I think most use floating in Denmark.

Are "polyleaders" recommended?
That's up to you.
I make my own and always have done with standard "bob's your uncle - any line I have", leaders.

Hope it helps.
You'll get many answers but don't stress to much. Experiment and enjoy the experience.
Happy chappies at the GFF will help, point you in the direction and some...May even point out a few sea trout for you?!

REMEMBER: GLOBALFLYFISHER have all the answers to your questions and with answers that are proven also to work.

See you out there at the GFF summit.
Ripley

2010 Mongolia
2011 North Pole: Anglo-American Trans-Arctic Expedition

www.mongolia2010.com
Allan Wermuth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Rip

You are using a #5 rod for seatrout on the danish coast ......, is it one of those special saltwater rods which is typically classified one or two classes below?

To get a lighter rod for the coast, I bought a Fenwick Techna AV Saltwater #6 , but actually
it is a lot heavyer than my class 7 Fenwick Ironfeather Wink

What specific class 5 rod are You using for the coast?

By the way, the 8 feet #4 Zeplin & König rod, I bought from You worked very fine for me, under my trip to Slovenia. I caught a lot of grayling, brown trout, rainbows and a single marble trout Very Happy

Kind regards
Allan Wermuth

Allan Wermuth
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: #5 Reply with quote
Hi Allan,

I have been using a class #5 at the Danish coast for longer than I can remember. Regardless of conditions and seasons, I have never experienced any problems with a 5 weight.

The rod I started with up until 2005 was a Fenwick HMG AV #5 (gavf 905-2 9ft #5), and a medium action.
The fact of the matter is...I still have the rod and it's still in excellent condition, including the cork.
I even used it at the last GFF summit and landed some nice fish on it. Pictures are ever present on the GFF '06 article.
It's not mean't to be for saltwater but it copes - and very well.
It is very light and browsing the weight charts and characteristics, it seems rated well and simillar to other 5 weights.

Many put down Fenwick but I havenever had any problems with them.

Last year, I picked up a Vision #5 for dirt cheap and, although rated a freshwater rod, it handles the salt well but I am reluctant to retire my Fenwick. Call me sentimental but the Fenwick has given me much luck and nice fish so as long as "she" continues to do me proud, I'll abuse "her"!

I suppose the main reason why I always enjoy to argue that a rod between a 5 and 7 weight is perfect for the Danish salt, is because I know the weight in question can handle Danish salt and the size of fish present.
I see many thrashing the water with heavy #9 and even #10 weights. Why?

My Fenwick will be back in action at the GFF summit '07. No doubt, "she'll" do me proud - again.

Maybe Fenwick should pay me for this promotional piece?

Rip Van "I love my Fenwick".

P3150152.jpg
 Description:
A Fenwick solution
 Filesize:  188.85 KB
 Viewed:  600 Time(s)

P3150152.jpg

P3150149.jpg
 Description:
Here she is laying by a piece of silver.
Fenwick reel too!
 Filesize:  207.29 KB
 Viewed:  650 Time(s)

P3150149.jpg

P1100047.jpg
 Description:
My Fenwick and her owner in action last year.
 Filesize:  150.6 KB
 Viewed:  624 Time(s)

P1100047.jpg

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
Jonathan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Great fish Ripley, looking forward to hooking some of those in the summit this year!

I'm looking to buy a new saltwater fly reel and was wondering if you had any recommendations?

At the minute I'm leaning towards a Vision GT, do you have any comments on this reel?

Cheers
Jonathan

´¯`·._.·´¯`·.><((((((º>
Allan Wermuth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Rip

Actually I have a Fenwick HMG AV #5 4-piece rod in my possesion. Maybe I should try it out on the coast, and se if I get lucky Wink

I have no appointments this weekend, so from friday afternoon to sunday evening I will be hunting seatrout at the coasts on Fyn Very Happy

Regards
Allan

Allan Wermuth
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Salty Reply with quote
Jonathan,

Unfortunately, I can't give any recommendations for the reel you mentioned.
For 4 years I have used a Fenwick Nighthawk, as in the picture. It's pretty robust and takes a hammering and to be frank...What ever you are going to use for the salt - must be able to stand the most corrosive element on the planet - salt.

I also know that the VISION XLA is pretty darn good and most of the reels made in Composite from Loop, Vision and Scierra. There are so many on the market so choose well and don't be sucked into buying something that equals a household mortgage.

The main thing you want is a reel that can stand the salt, minimum moving parts and a good drag.

I have just received today, a LOOP CLWC.

I have heard it robust and thought I'd treat myself and besides...It looks dandy.

Allan...
My Fenwick is a 2 piece but I doubt there's little difference between the two.
Good hunting. I am also out this weekend for sea trout.
I am sure the Fenwick will do you justice.

Tight lines
Ripley

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Salty Reply with quote
Hi Ripley,

I've been looking at those Loop CLW reels as well, they're not too expensive and they get great reviews!

Done a bit of researchl! Apparently the clear one is better as its stronger and lighter than the black one! It is made from the same material that riot shields are made of and is virtually indestructable! click here its the thread posted by "TheKeeper" close to the bottom!

They are selling them in the UK at the same price for black or clear!

Might be tempted to go for the clear as well !!! (Hope that wouldn't spoil your street cred!)

See you at the summit.

Jonathan[/url]

´¯`·._.·´¯`·.><((((((º>
DistantStreams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Street Cred Reply with quote
Hey,

I have no street cred. By all means buy it, use and catch with it.
I tried the reel today and I am really happy with it. Very impressed.
As for the GFF summit...I imagine I will result back to the old battered Fenwick Nighthawk but I will certainly have the LOOP CLWC as a back up in the car.

Regards
The waters very Ripley

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
Pike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Saltwater flyfishing Reply with quote
Hi there, I usually use 9ft 8wt rod for my salwater fishing. 10,5ft rod seems to me too long. It is not so easy cast whole day into the wind with so long rod. And danish coast can be very windy. So that is the main reason for me to use shorter rod.
I also use tappered braided leader made from monofilament in lenght of 5 feets. 4 feets of tippet made from 0,23mm fluocarbon are attached to the leader. I have used WF lines so far, but I have recently ordered RIO Outbond line, so I will try it soon

Wiggy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again Jonathan.

It both agree and disagree with the advice you've got so far. I guess you'll be fishing Oslofjorden and those areas, and if you'll be fishing with flies directed towards sea trout, you'll be picking up cod, pollack and bass as an added bonus.

I've SWFF'ed now in the last 5 years about 5-6 months a year. My standard set-up is a 9ft stiff rod rated for an #8. This rod has the back bone to handle strong winds and big fish. Anything lower than an #7-8 will be too light to handle big cod and pollack.

Now I don't know whether you're a profficent caster, but using a #5 for a relative beginner along the norwegian coast will cause too much frustration due to wind and the such. I use a #6 when the wind isn't too strong, but this is only after I really got to grips with shooting heads and double hauls.

So my advice is:-

Get a light weight 9-9.5ft 7 or 8 weight rod with a saltwater resistant/proof reel and a shooting head set-up. A floater is mostly used with a slow sinker on cold days and a fast sinker for getting done to the cod/pollack if you're out after them.

After you're happy with your casting or in flat calms or near flat calms, progress to a 5 or 6 weight.

Most I know use a #7 as standard, and even go down to a #4.

Good luck with whatever to choose to go for.

Jonathan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Wiggy,

Thanks for the advice/words of wisdom!

Are you going to the summit Question

I have a 10ft #7/8 reservoir rod which I'm going to take to the summit, it's got a fast action and can throw out a good line in a wind. I've used it on the Oslo fjord and it's had no problems so I'm sure it'll be fine for the Summit!

My casting is not the best, I'm self taught Rolling Eyes so never had lessons - hopefully some of the guys at the summit can give me some advice on technique!

Thinking about going for the LOOP CLWC 5eight reel as mentioned in one of my previous threads, should be just the job for SWFFing!

Thanks again
Jonathan

´¯`·._.·´¯`·.><((((((º>
Wiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Th etrip over to the GFF summit looks doubtful. In the next three months shall be going to GB twice and Bergen, so I've been assured by the boss that the holiday pot is empty! Maybe next year.

As regards your 10ft'er. Shouldn't be a problem, though your arm may get tired quicker from casting with a 10' as opposed to a 9'. Though with that said, you'll be able to spey/roll cast alot better with a 10ft rod in hard to cast areas.

The reel you describe is just the ticket. By all accounts a very good reel and saltwater proof I believe.

So it sounds like you're sorted!

Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Rod weight Reply with quote
Jonathan and others,

I don't want to be the one who tries to be "the wise guy" here, but just recap my own and a few fellow angler's experience from our last many years of coastal fishing in Denmark.

Most of us fish with 5 or 6 weights these days - whenever the conditions allow it. Some use 9' rods some slightly longer 9'6" rods. We usually have some sturdier rods as a backup, mostly 6-7 weights, rarely 8 weights and never 9 or 10 weights.

The reason for choosing 5 or 6 weights are manyfold, but my personal reasons are the following:
- Casting a 5 weight is a lot more fun than a 7 or 8 weight. And coastal fishing is a lot about casting, particularly if you don't have well trained eyes to spot fish and likely lies.

- Catching a fish is a lot more fun on a 5 weight than on a 7 or 8 weight. The average fish is fairly small (40-45 cm) and no problem handling on a 5 weight. Larger fish can be challenging, but we have caught and landed sea trout and rainbows up to 5 kilos and more on these light rods.

- Modern 5 weights are a far cry from past time's stream rods. You can get fast and firm rods with saltwater eyes and a fighting butt.

- Presentation is A LOT more important than most people fishing for sea trout think. Spooking fish is probably the most common reason for not catching anything when fish are around. Sea trout (and escaped rainbows) sometimes go VERY close to the shore in VERY shallow water, and heavy gear is the last thing you need and want.

- Personally I use WF-lines more and more often over shooting heads, and stress the importance of distance less and less. I have shooting heads for 5 and 6 weights, but prefer a good WF-line in most situations. The 8 weight might have more backbone for distance casting, but when distance is second to presentation, well...

The 5-weight can be hard to cast in really severe wind, but so can an 8-weight.

I will bring a bunch of rods for the Summit in the 5-7 weight range, and provided I get them back in one piece (or at least as many pieces as they were on the outset), anybody can borrow and test these rods during the weekend - provided I have one to fish with myself. The Summit is as a whole a very good place to try out all kinds of rod and line combinations.

Martin

DistantStreams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Just what I wanted say - and did. Reply with quote
Quote:
I suppose the main reason why I always enjoy to argue that a rod between a 5 and 7 weight is perfect for the Danish salt, is because I know the weight in question can handle Danish salt and the size of fish present.
I see many thrashing the water with heavy #9 and even #10 weights. Why?

Even a 7 could be to heavy..?

The below taken on 5 weights.

Rippers

P1110009.jpg
 Description:
My good Japanese friend Toru Hayatsu plucked this fish about 1 metre from the shore line feeding on sand hoppers.
You could see the shock wave and splashing from the feeding fish a mile away!!!
 Filesize:  198.46 KB
 Viewed:  608 Time(s)

P1110009.jpg

P1100054.jpg
 Description:
Another angle of the toe deep fish.
 Filesize:  174.68 KB
 Viewed:  672 Time(s)

P1100054.jpg

P1100053.jpg
 Description:
This fish was seen feeding in toe deep water. I first thought it was bird splashing in the shallows from a distance.
 Filesize:  98.12 KB
 Viewed:  579 Time(s)

P1100053.jpg

2010 Mongolia

www.mongolia2010.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: