View topic - Unbelievably fast-sinking lines??? - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Unbelievably fast-sinking lines???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosse Wessman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Unbelievably fast-sinking lines??? Reply with quote
Does anybody know where I can find "extra super-duper ultra fast-sinking fly lines"=) , preferrably lines for warm water fishing? The object is to reach down to 50-60 meters depth in a norwegian fiord, to catch saithe (Pollachius virens) on fly equipment. I have done this with a Rio 1150 grains, but that line is too soft and doubles up while sinking resulting in hangups, so I need something stiffer (warm water lines are stiffer in cold water) and, if possible, heavier. A super-fast sinking shooting line would also be helpful.

/Bosse
Fly-Only

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do we still talk about fly casting or just fly fishing?In case of the first, take a guideline shooting head in sinkrate 7/8 and the highest line class. In case of the second, just take a drain cover.

Regards, Frank
Bosse Wessman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Frank
Evil or Very Mad
Since the idea of fishing with a drain-cover is as absurd to me as I know it is to You, i would be greatful if you would refrain from that kind of smart-ass comments. They are no help to me and needing help is the reason I posted this question in the first place.

I want to fish a fly, on a fly line or similar, at 50 meters of depth in the sea. That is, as I see it, a bigger challenge to achieve than casting a fly line, something that I frequently do when fishing for other species of fish. Basing the fising technique on casting the line is contraproductive, since the 40 top meters of the water doesn´t hold fish.

Consequently, I fish the fly up some 10-20 meters from the 50-meter level and let it sink again. As I am catching the fish with fly fishing gear - fly rod, line, leader and fly - this way of fishing the fly should be considered just a flyfishing technique as any technique based on casting the line. The innovativeness in finding a way to even reach the fish with this type of gear sould even account for more.

Furthermore, I catch these saithe up to 10-12 kg´s on relatively light fly rods, line class 7 or eight, something that makes the challenge even greater.

So please, don´t recommend any drain-pipes or post any similar comments that are stemming from a one-track purist mind way of thinking, but help me instead to find the lines I need, if possible.

/Bosse
Mike Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Bosse, you could try 10m of lead trolling line, splice this to some super braid shooting line and you will have the fastest sinking rig possible. It will however be a dog to cast.
All the best.
Mike.
Bosse Wessman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Mike, that´s an idea. Since I don´t need to cast at all, it will work provided the line sinks fast enough. I have also been thinking about using that kind of line as shooting line. Cortland Kerplunk would work if it wasn´t cloth-coated, wears the line guides too much when going out and in while fishing. A plastic-coated leadcore line would be better, You know where to find one?

/Bosse
Fly-Only

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are right, I´m wrong.

Frank
Mike Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Bose, here in NZ every fly shop also sells lead core trolling line, they come in 100m spools and they change colour every 10m so they are easy to cut down to whatever length you need. these guys http://www.sportinglife-turangi.co.nz/pages/booking.htm are one of the best shops in the North Island and I am sure that if you email them they will ship to you. I am not sure that this line will get you down as deep as 50m but you do not know unless you try.
Hope this helps.
Mike.
Tobias Herrmann

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Bosse,

you can find this line even HERE.

T
Ulrik Schou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Bosse, how about using some kind of down rigger or paravane setup with a fast sinking flyline - just a thought..
Martin Bowers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Deep tropical fishing Reply with quote
We use the SA Striped Bass fast sinking IV line in Florida to fish down 20-30 feet in a lot of current (The Gulfstream). The line is preferred because it is 120 feet long. Airflo has an integrated shooting head that is 150 feet long but I haven't tried it yet. You could add a long piece of Rio T-17 in front of those to make a 60+m long setup. Since I'm guessing there is not much current in a fjord, you can hopefully get the line straight down. Otherwise some 50lb braid that you very carefully strip into an excellent stripping basket would probably work too but nothing tangles as easily as braid.

You could also buy the 500 foot spool of T-17 to make a $250 dollar flyline, but it would be long enough for you. Smile

Do you heavily weight the flies? I would think if the fly is very heavy, it would pull down on the line and help to keep it from doubling up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: