View topic - Kasserermaur - treasurers ant - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Kasserermaur - treasurers ant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.z.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Kasserermaur - treasurers ant Reply with quote
Hi,

I just had a brilliant weekend tying flies at Villmarksliv in Hamar. I was invited to be at the stand of the Hedmarks Flyfishing club. Very, very nice people. I felt quite humbled tying next to such skilled people like Terje and having Vidar Steimler right behind me making bamboo rods. Mine is on the way and I cant wait to have a real Steimler rod. Might take a while though. These things don´t fall from the plastic tree.

The big thing in the waters around Oslo is "ants". I have been thinking about this for the last few month since I heard so much about it. However, the existing patterns did not exactly fit my taste. I remembered what my pal Eric from Reno kept mentioning about Ralph Cutters perfect ant. A brilliant design in his own right, but me and the clubs Kasserer wanted legs over hackle. We agreed that instinct driven creatures do react on such features / triggers.

So here you go — the Kasserermaur (maur = ant) was born. It was a bit hard to find black deer hair, but we were lucky and found some at a stand around the corner http://www.foxtail.no/ had some.

Hook: Mustad R30
Thread: Gordon Griffiths 14/0
upper body: deer hair
underbody: ice dub
legs: deer hair

Notes: fly sinks very slowly when untreated and stays in the film when treated.

Looks a million bucks to me ... and is rather simple to tie.

Cheers,
Thomas

"The mind is like a parachute. It does not work when not open." - Frank Zappa
Glenn Parkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nice looking fly t.z. simple for you maybe Smile but I think I will give it a shot

Tight Lines Everyone Smile
t.z.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glenn Parkin wrote:
nice looking fly t.z. simple for you maybe Smile but I think I will give it a shot

Here´s how you do it - in case you wonder - after laying a thread base tie in a small bunch of deer hair by the eye and cover with thread going backwards to the hook bend at about opposite to the barbe point. Form a ball shape body segment with dubbing and fold the deer hair forwards. Secure with 2 or 3 wraps, fold 3 or 4 hair fibres backwards and keep tying the rest of deer hair forward by covering with thread. Repeat the process - dubbing and folding over - with just less dubbing so you get a smaller segment. Check some Ant pics or the real things in your area.They vary in proportions. Whip finish under the deer hair so a bunch extends over the hook eye. The rest is trimming with scissors and crushing the legs a bit.

"The mind is like a parachute. It does not work when not open." - Frank Zappa
Planettrout

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is a very interesting ANT. I think they will do nicely in my lake box... Very Happy

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: