View topic - Entering the water - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Entering the water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlisleny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Entering the water Reply with quote
I was recently reminded why I made my first few casts as I prepared to enter the river I normally fish. I was greeted on my second drift by a rather vigorous strike, and suddenly I had the first fish of the day... Kind of seems silly, but remember to our wet friends there is no "good" side of the river to live on. So before you charge into your favorite hole on your next trip try a few casts on the way out, since some of the residents may have changed their address to the dark side of the river.
Shocked

Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Fish before you wade! Reply with quote
Carlisleny,

It has always been a good rule to follow: fish before you wade.

I have spooked many a fish by trotting into the water in a stream or even in the ocean. I have also made a habit of casting along the bank once in a while, and more than once that has give the fish of the day.

Martin

rybolov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen this many times where people will just charge right into the water. Making casts to just inside the water is a good technique for most waters I've seen, from pike lakes to steelhead streams. I've hooked enough big fish to give it a try each time I go out.

If it's early in the morning and you are the first person in the water, it's an even more productive technique. Fish go shallower at night because they don't have to push the current as much and they are safe from predators who can't see them when it's dark.

Cheers
--Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: