View topic - Auckland upper harbour - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Auckland upper harbour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Auckland upper harbour Reply with quote
Hi Guys, I have been fishing the meola reef, about 10 minutes from work in the afternoons when ever the tide is right and I can make the time.
The fishing this year has been hot, unlike the weather!
Here are a few pics
The spot

The fish

The reef is made up of volcanic rock, covered in mud and Oysters, it is very harsh on fly lines and a stripping basket is a must. The reef is under water at high tide and I often find smashed outboard props out there, not sure how this reef can catch the boaties unaware, it is dry at low water and is a well known landmark.
All the best.
Mike
oarfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Who's the fish Reply with quote
Nice pics Mike, what species of fish are they?

Rick

Mike Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Rick they are Snapper, the legal limit per person per day in this area is 9 and the minimum size is 27cm. Most guys only take a few and my personal minimum size is 30cm, I do not think they are worth filleting if they are any smaller. They are the most popular recreational fishing target in the North Island and grow to 30lb+ but they are slow growing, the ones in the pic would probably be 4 or 5 years old.
All the best.
Mike
Mike Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got out again, this time for an early morning fish, here are a couple of pics.
Very early

The result

I had organized to meet up with a young guy who had not caught a fish on salt water fly before, this is him with the result of his 3rd cast.

Not a big one but they all count and he went on to get about another 4 so it was well worth an early start.
All the best.
Mike
Martin Joergensen
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mike,

Thanks a bunch for the story and the pictures! We're just starting the season here, and cabin fever is running high. so a few fishing pics always soothes...

Martin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Fly fishing - Fish Better All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: