Published Jan 4th 2013
UK artist David Miller has long been on our wanted list for the Fishy Artist series, and here we can feature some samples of his impressing art and some answers to a few questions.
a) How did you start working with art and with fishing related art in particular?
I loved to draw and paint as a child and from my mid-teens wanted to pursue art as a career.
I studied wildlife art at college and soon gravitated towards specialising in fish.
b) Why fish and/or fishing?
I was an obsessive fisherman from the age of 10 when I began coarse fishing the ponds and canals of my home town.
I loved the photographs and illustrations in my growing library of angling books and soon started to draw and paint the species I fished for.
c) What is your preferred method of painting/drawing/producing your work - if any?
I do a lot of fieldwork to gather reference for my paintings - I catch fish to get close-up views and spend hours diving and snorkeling to observe them in their natural habitat. From a combination of memory and a vast library of photographs I have taken I develop my paintings. I work almost exclusively in oils, either on board or canvas.
d) Is the art your main source of income - if at all a source of income - and do you do other jobs as a supplement?
I work exclusively as a professional artist and have done so for the past 11 years. Before then I did a variety of other jobs To supplement my income.
e) Can people buy your art and if so, then in which form and where?
I sell originals and prints from my website, which was created 12 years ago by my wife and business partner Lisa.
The website gives my work a chance to be seen outside of the UK and I have sold work to clients in many different countries. I also show in (mostly) UK galleries though recently I have exhibited in The Netherlands.
f) Where do you currently live and work?
I live in a secluded wooded valley in West Wales with the rivers Taf and Towy close to home and the rugged Pembrokeshire coast on my doorstep.
You can find David's web page with prints for sale on his web site.
David is also on Facebook where you can see regular posts of art and even follow some paintings as David posts pictures of their progress.
David's paintings are also available in the form of a book - Beneath the Surface
More Fishy Artists
- Yves Laurent. Published March 11th 2013
- Adriano Manocchia. Published February 19th 2013
- Sam MacDonald. Published February 8th 2013
- David Miller. Published January 4th 2013
- Charles Weiss. Published June 15th 2012
- Nick Laferriere. Published May 4th 2012
- Jason Tison. Published March 31st 2012
- Juan Jose Serra. Published March 14th 2012
- AD Maddox. Published December 4th 2011
- Robin Armstrong. Published July 11th 2011
- Craig Bertram Smith. Published May 15th 2011
- Jim Roszel. Published February 4th 2010
- Sean Seal. Published February 3rd 2009
- Thomas Weiergang. Published December 9th 2008
- Bob White. Published July 3rd 2008
- Yoshikazu Fujioka. Published August 10th 2007
- Vaughn Cochran. Published July 29th 2007
- Chris Bladen. Published May 17th 2007
- Ad Swier. Published February 20th 2007
- Matt Zudweg. Published February 8th 2007
- Derek DeYoung. Published January 12th 2007
- Diane Michelin. Published December 28th 2006
- Rod Sutterby. Published September 5th 2006