Published Jan 4th 2013
UK artist David Miller has long been on our wanted list for the Fishy Artist series, and here we can feature some samples of his impressing art and some answers to a few questions.
a) How did you start working with art and with fishing related art in particular?
I loved to draw and paint as a child and from my mid-teens wanted to pursue art as a career.
I studied wildlife art at college and soon gravitated towards specialising in fish.
b) Why fish and/or fishing?
I was an obsessive fisherman from the age of 10 when I began coarse fishing the ponds and canals of my home town.
I loved the photographs and illustrations in my growing library of angling books and soon started to draw and paint the species I fished for.
c) What is your preferred method of painting/drawing/producing your work - if any?
I do a lot of fieldwork to gather reference for my paintings - I catch fish to get close-up views and spend hours diving and snorkeling to observe them in their natural habitat. From a combination of memory and a vast library of photographs I have taken I develop my paintings. I work almost exclusively in oils, either on board or canvas.
d) Is the art your main source of income - if at all a source of income - and do you do other jobs as a supplement?
I work exclusively as a professional artist and have done so for the past 11 years. Before then I did a variety of other jobs To supplement my income.
e) Can people buy your art and if so, then in which form and where?
I sell originals and prints from my website, which was created 12 years ago by my wife and business partner Lisa.
The website gives my work a chance to be seen outside of the UK and I have sold work to clients in many different countries. I also show in (mostly) UK galleries though recently I have exhibited in The Netherlands.
f) Where do you currently live and work?
I live in a secluded wooded valley in West Wales with the rivers Taf and Towy close to home and the rugged Pembrokeshire coast on my doorstep.
You can find David's web page with prints for sale on his web site.
David is also on Facebook where you can see regular posts of art and even follow some paintings as David posts pictures of their progress.
David's paintings are also available in the form of a book - Beneath the Surface
More Fishy Artists
- Rod Sutterby in Gallery. Published September 5th 2006
- Diane Michelin in Gallery. Published December 28th 2006
- Derek DeYoung in Gallery. Published January 12th 2007
- Matt Zudweg in Gallery. Published February 8th 2007
- Ad Swier in Gallery. Published February 20th 2007
- Chris Bladen in Gallery. Published May 17th 2007
- Vaughn Cochran in Gallery. Published July 29th 2007
- Yoshikazu Fujioka in Gallery. Published August 10th 2007
- Bob White in Gallery. Published July 3rd 2008
- Thomas Weiergang in Gallery. Published December 9th 2008
- Sean Seal in Gallery. Published February 3rd 2009
- Jim Roszel in Gallery. Published February 4th 2010
- Craig Bertram Smith in Gallery. Published May 15th 2011
- Robin Armstrong in Gallery. Published July 11th 2011
- AD Maddox in Gallery. Published December 4th 2011
- Juan Jose Serra in Gallery. Published March 14th 2012
- Jason Tison in Gallery. Published March 31st 2012
- Nick Laferriere in Gallery. Published May 4th 2012
- Charles Weiss in Gallery. Published June 15th 2012
- Sam MacDonald in Gallery. Published February 8th 2013
- Adriano Manocchia in Gallery. Published February 19th 2013
- Yves Laurent in Gallery. Published March 11th 2013