The Global FlyFisher
Simply the Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tyinghttp://globalflyfisher.com/node/13873
The New Flee
A small and simple sea trout fly
The Flee has gone through a developement. The old version was a bit tedious to tie - especially when you compare to this one.
This one is just a dubbed body with a shell back and a rib which makes it very easy and fast to tie. It has also grown a bit to become a fatter bite - hopefully more tempting for a fish.
The color of the fly can be varied endlessly.
|Hook||12-8, nymph/emerger type, scud type or curved streamer.|
|Thread||To match color of fly|
|Body||Colored or natural rabbit body or hare's mask dubbing, brown, olive or tan|
|Rib||Thin silver tinsel|
|Back||Scud-Back, precut in 3 mm (1/8") strips|
- Tie in the shell material and the ribbing at a point fairly low on the hook bend
- Dub the body to a fat tapered shape with a mix of underfur and guard hairs
- Brush each side of the fly downwards with a stiff brush holding a finger on the opposite side to guide the hairs that are picked out
- Pull shell material tight over the body, tie down and cut surplus
- Rib the fly in 7-8 fairly close turns to illudate body segments
- Tie down ribbing under hook
- Finish the head and varnish the head.