Fishy photos: Harri Hytönen
Finnish photographer Harri Hytönen was brought to my attention through Facebook and I got both a set of great pictures as well as Harri's replies to our usual questions.
Finnish photographer Harri Hytönen was brought to my attention through Facebook where he inquired about our Fishy Photographers series and referred me to some of his excellent work. We hooked up and I sent off my usual set of questions. Even though most of the summer passed due to busy fishing schedules and vacations, we finally got together both a set of great pictures as well as Harri's replies, which you can all enjoy in this article.
How did you start photographing - and what made you choose fishing related photos in particular?
- Actually I dont remember how I really got started. I got my first camera when I was really young but I shot photos only occasionally. But when photos turned to digital I got much more interested in photographing. I guess mostly because now it was easier to process your own photos. Also one big step was starting my fly fishing blog 2007 and of course the blog needed photos. That was also the time when went back to SLR's (before that some years with small compact digital camera).
When still using filmcameras I photographed with Nikon but with DSLR's I changed over to Canon.
Do you have a particular subject, region or a style of pictures that you mainly shoot or are you more all-round?
- I feel like being allrounder although I just love macrophotos. In the past I collected butterflies and that's why I have also been interested in all kind of insects.
Where are your photos used? Books, magazines, brochures, ads, web sites, prints, gallery exhibits or other places?
- My fishing photos have been published in several magazines and books. I have also been selling other photos for all kind of media : magazines, webpages, flyers etc. Especially my sportphotos have been popular (orienteering photos for example).
Is photography your main source of income - if at all a source of income - and do you do other jobs as a supplement?
No, its not my main source. Not yet, but hopefully in the future bigger part of my income comes from photographing. So I still need to be in a dayjob :-(
Can people buy your pictures and if so, then in which form and where?
Everything is for sale! :-)
Just contact me and we can make a deal (e-mail, phone, snailmail).
Check out my photo gallery (hytonen.kuvat.fi) and you can find my photos but also contact-information.
Straight link to my fly fishing photos: hytonen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/perhokalastus
My blog can be found in here : harrihytonen.blogspot.fi (in Finnish, sorry)
Where do you currently live and work?
- I live in southern Finland in small city called Orimattila. I work in city of Lahti (famous for wintersports) and I have 20 minutes drive there.
What's in your bag? Preferred cameras, bodies, lenses and other gear?
- I have too much stuff in my bag. It's hard to carry them all during fishing trips :).
Most of time I carry with me :
- Canon 7D
- Sigma 10-20 mm
- Sigma 70-200 mm / 2.8
- Canon 100 mm macro / 2.8
- Samyang 8 mm fisheye
- big bag of filters
- Contact Harri through email on firstname.lastname@example.org
- His gallery page is on hytonen.kuvat.fi and the images here hytonen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/perhokalastus/
- Harri on Facebook
- Harri's blog (in Finnish)