Published Sep 1. 2015 - 11 months ago
Kern's Perfect Leo Shrimp
Articles relating to pattern
A realistic, perfect swimming shrimp imitation for both hot and cold water and a big variety of species. The fly has many neat details and is a great uograde from those quickly tied flies.
Kern Leo Lund
Cold saltwater fly
A little difficult
- Tie in a some lead or tungsten as a keel.
- Tie in a small ball of red SLF.
- Tie in a small tufft of sandy colored SLF.
- Cut the stem out a grizzle say hackle. Tie it in.
- Tie in a some sand/seal colored SLF. Make a few turns.
- Make a neat little knot on every leg to make them become more lively.
- Tie in the first pair of legs.
- Tie in the eyes on each side of the shank.
- Tie in the ribbing.
- Make one wrap of the sandy colored mix.
- Tie some sandy colored SLF and the first pair of legs. Continue doing that. Three pairs if the hook is normal length and 4 pairs if the hook is 1x-2x long.
- Take a rubber band. 3-4 times the hook lengt. On the middle, you make a small loop and tie it sown at the hook eye.Repeat, so you now have 4 rubber legs starting from two loops at the eye.
- Hold the 4 rubber bands tight and lock them wirh the rib and the hook bend. Make the ribbing come forward in nice turns. The turns should become slightly more narrow as they approach the hook eye.
- Form a nice little head and whipfinish.
- Brush the fly throughly so the fibres sticks out and it gets a transparent look.
- Mark the legs and back with small dots from a black pen.
- Mark the dubbing at the hook bend with an olive pen.
Gamakatsu G Code F 314 size 4 or Daiichi size 4, swimming larva hook, york bend, 3x-long curved. shank, 2x-heavy wire, up-eye, bronze
Uno Mono Clear
Red SLF dubbing
SLF Olive green
0.20 mm nylon
SLF, sand, tan and/or other light dubbings
Burned monofilament, painted and finished with epoxy
Two stripped grizzle hackle stems and clear, thin rubber legs
Four pairs of clear, flexy legs marked with a black pen. <a href="/patterns/kpls/#users">See comments for more info</a>
Tan/Light sand EP fiber
Two clear flexi legs, turned