The Global FlyFisher
Simply the Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tyinghttp://globalflyfisher.com/node/35875
Published Sep 1. 2015 - 1 year ago
Updated or edited Jan 8. 2016
Alan's Winter Shrimp
Articles relating to pattern
Alan Kuhlman Hansen
Cold saltwater fly
- Tie up a thread base to the hook tip.
- Tie a bunch of mallard feathers down the hook bend. Clip excess off at an angle.
- Tie a little bunch of black emu/CDC on top of the mallard feathers.
- Tie in two antennae of stripped hackle, one on each side.
- Tie a small clump of pink SLF dubbing behind the mouth parts.
- Tie the eyes on. The dubbing keeps them separated in a V.
- Tie the rest down towards the hook eye. Secure it with varnish.
- Tie in a grizzly feather, the shiny side facing you.
- Apply a "lead" strip (Optional)
- Make a thin dubbing loop of SLF. Dub a body to 3 millimeters from the hook eye.
- Wrap the grizzly feather in tight turns
- Secure the feather and make a half hitch.
- Stroke the barbs down on each side.
- Cut the back free to make room for a shield.
- Tie in orange Ultra Hair behind the hook eye. This must be done in two stages the first shortest and the second longer, so that it reaches over the mouth parts.
- The first bunch of Ultra Hair is kept low between the eyes. Apply resin and cure to secure it.
- The next set of Ultra Hair is tied in 1 centimeter beyond the eye.
- Finish with a whip finish.
- Build up the shield with resin in several layers. Hold the Ultra Hair tightly down over the first bundle.
- Cut the tail. I hold a razor blade between the hook eye and the fibers at an angle and apply a drop of resin and cure. Trim with scissors and the fly is finished. PS: The tail is optional.
TMC200rR size 6
UTC 70 white
Mouth parts 1
Natural gray mallard flank feathers
Mouth parts 2
Black emu feathers (alternative: black CDC)
Two stripped stems from blue dun hackle feathers
Two black mono eyes (store bought or home made)
Pink SLF dubbing
A strip of adhesive weight or whatever you normally use for weight
Orange Ultra Hair (alternative: Gliss-n-Glint from Deer Creek)
Diamond Hard UV resin