Published Sep 13. 2004 - 11 years ago
Europe's Greatest Sandwich
It might not beat Bob's but heck it's good!
I know the chances of beating an American at something American is close to none. Just think of the World Championships in football... ever considered that no non-US teams ever participated? And if such a team existed, could they? I think not! Well, we might then come up with something purely European. No American can compete there! ;-) Europe's Greatest Sandwich: Bread: Plain wheat - Filone, Ciabatta or similar will make the angels sing Meat: Air dried ham - known as Jamon Serrano in Spain and Prosciutto Di Parma in Italy - not quite the same, but any of them will do (while your plain, boiled ham won't!). It has to be extremely thinly sliced. Sausage: Chorizo - a strongly chilli flavored, also air dried, pork sausage from Spain Cheese: Buffalo Mozarella. A mild, fresh cheese, kept in the fluid from the making process Spice: A sprinkle of dried oregano Instructions:
- Drain the cheese and cut a couple of slices. The cheese is quite crumbly and slices become fairly thick
- Lay a slice of cheese on a slice of bread
- Put the Chorizo on the cheese. If the slices are large (2-3 inches Ã) one will suffice, if it's smaller (1" Ã) use two or three.
- Put one or two slices of ham on the sausage
- Add another layer of sausage
- Add a final layer of cheese
- Sprinkle lightly with oregano. A pinch is enough
- Close the sandwich with a second slice of bread
- Toast the whole thing for about five minutes in a closed toaster thingy. No reason to protect the machinery. The cheese isn't that runny.