I don't often fish poppers
I have fished a few poppers in my time. Most of the simple ones with a bare foam head and some measly fethers for a tail. My recent success with the simple PropPopper made me go through my drawers and dig out some more popper heads.
I had some medium large pencil popper heads made of hard, white foam. I thought that these might break the spell of no fish here in Denmark, and ducked in the basement to find some spraycans with suitable colors.
I was thinking black, but the only black color I had was for patching our fireplace - a free standing metal oven. Apart from that I found a nice grey one, and decided to make grey poppers with a black back.
The spray process was fairly easy, and to my big surprise -- and joy -- the black color cracked when it dried and gave a really nice effect. I painted four heads and mounted them on long streamer hooks with a little flashy tail. I used superglue for the purpose.
I fished the poppers the same evening. Or rather one of them. And it lasted about ten casts. And ten dreadful casts I might add. Casting a large popper on a 6 weight is a pain.
But after the tenth cast or so, I suddenly got the grip of it, and was doing really well. The reason was that the head was gone... I was casting a bare hook!
So, the biggest room is still the room for improvement, and I will have to find some glue, which can secure the head firmly to the hook.