Global FlyFisher. Fly from the pattern database -
All kinds of flies from all over the globe
Click to see more Edgehill salt water patterns
This fly may not be the most beautiful in your box and may seem to be stale but take a closer look at the small fry that swim around the coast and you will see that they swim with a jerky side to side action. With a short sharp retrieve of about 3 or 4 inches the fly will come alive and is a killer.
|Type||Cold saltwater fly|
Sea trout (sea run)
Steelhead (sea run)
|Hook||Mustad 34077 or equivalant long shank hook no.4/0 to 2|
|Thread||White mono waxed thread|
|Body||Holagraphic tinsell covered by plastic tubing|
|Wing||Krystal Flash to suit bait fish colour|
|Eyes||Prismatic stick on or equivalent|
- Tie on the thread at the head and lay down a neat layer back to just above hook point.
- Tie in and make a body of holagraphic tinsel.
- Cut a bunch (20 strands) of Krystal Flash, fold in half and tie in at head so that they extend past bend by about 1 inch
- Tie off and glue with super glue.
- Cut a piece of clear plastic tubing to match body length, from eye of hook back to where bend begins.
- Thread on to hook from the head.
- Mix and apply some 5 minutes epoxy to the area just behind hook eye
- Bring the tubing foward to sit just behind the hook eye
- Apply stick on eyes and a little more epoxy so that you just cover them
- Allow to dry.
- With the help of a glue gun and clear glue apply a blob to the Krystal Flash, try to spread out the fibers
- in the glue and flatten with wet fingers
- When hard cut out a fish tail shape.