The Global FlyFisher - The Largest and Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
Global FlyFisher. Fly from the pattern database -
All kinds of flies from all over the globe
More cold saltwater
Kai's Green Terror
Simplicity: The White is a stable pattern in originator Rasmus Hansen's coastal sea trout flybox, He uses it as a provocation (read: attractor) or as a shrimp imitation, and prefers it for turbulent water and autumn fishing. The fly is simple, one color only, and one of these universal flies that can catch anything.
Tie along here
Tie along here
The Test Tube
|Type||Cold saltwater fly|
|Year of origin||2001|
|Tube||Bidoz brass or aluminum tube, short version, lined with plastic inner tube|
|Front red accent (optional)||Red/orange 6/0 thread or red/orange flash|
|Eyes||Stick on eyes, flat, 3D or doll´s eyes type, 3mm or 1/10-1/8 of an inch in diameter, covered with LCR|
|Body||Junction tube of your choice. Translucent, milky or colored|
|Hook||Tube hook of your choice, suitable sizes are #4-6-8|
|Rear tying thread||Black or grey 8/0|
|Tail||Flash and/or chickabou/marabou, grizzly or in a color of your choice|
- If you want a red or orange accent to the fly, wrap some tying thread on the middle of the tube and whip finish. Just a few wraps will suffice. Alternatively you can wrap a single strand of red flash into the LCR before curing it.
- Stick on the eyes in the front of the tube.
- Cover the whole head with LCR in an even layer
- Cure the LCR
- Burn a small collar on the inner tube
- Draw it through the head
- Cut it in the rear, leaving a small bit
- Melt a collar to lock it.
- The head is done.
- Tie a small bunch of flash or soft feather barbs to the hook.
- Whip finish and varnish.
- Stick a piece of junction tube onto the metal tube. 1½-2½ centimeters or about an inch is fine.
- The hook mounts when you tie the fly to your tippet.
- Pass the tippet though the head and the junction tube from the front
- Tie on the hook
- Pull the hook into the junction tube
|More great articles on The Global FlyFisher|
|A couple of random articles|