Tips for selecting deer hair
Hide chart - Selecting hair from the right part of the hide
This drawing shows where to find different hair types on the hide of a Whitetail deer harvested after the directions described in the introduction to this article
- Mask (1)
- short, medium texture, marginal for caddis, Comparaduns.
- Spinal cord area (2)
- fine texture, fairly long. For wings.
- Body (3)
- medium length, usually coarse to medium texture. Good for spinning medium to small bass bugs, also useful for Madame X, hopper patterns and others where floatability is required.
- Rump and belly (4)
- long coarse hair ideal for spinning large bass bugs, mice etc. White belly hair excellent for dyeing.
- Legs (5)
- short, fine textured hair. Good for small Wulff patterns, small caddis
- Bucktail (6)
- Ideal for streamers, trolling flies, Lefty's Deceivers