Hair Stacking and Other Applicable Stuff
Some flies require a slight unevenness to their tips. Consider the following from among several methods available:
A particular method may work better for one hair type versus another, so be willing to experiment.
- Choose hair that is adequately even on the skin. It may not need to be stacked at all.
- With hair of rather dramatically different length but similar diameter, stop after an initial, brief stacking.
- Stack the hair with the stacker vertically up to the final stack. When the stacker is laid horizontally to remove the clump, the hair will slightly misalign.
- After final stacking, rotate the stacker one revolution and then remove the clump. The more horizontal to inverted the stacker during this rotation the more misaligned the hair will be.
- After removing the stacked hair, roll the clump slightly between the fingers holding it. Another similar approach, but a bit more tricky is to push/pull your fingers holding the hair very slightly in opposite directions.
- Simply handling the hair will misalign it. Swapping the stacked clump from one hand to the other once or twice should do the job.