Raske's Comments On This Pattern
When the interest in this feature started gaining momentum, I immediately knew I wanted to include something
"new". Given the effectiveness of the smaller flatwing streamers
in casting sizes, and the larger flatwings such as Joe's Smelt for trolling,
I was struck by the absence of a brook trout fry in this style. I
decided to make one.
At first I though of making
a huge teal-strip "look alike", but when rummaging around in my bag of
olive mallard flank I noticed a small feather that looked just like a brookie
tail. I quickly found a match to that one, and since they're not
really appropriate for use as Teal Strip wings, I used them to simulate
a tail. I have no idea how this will affect the streamer as it is
dragged through the water, but would assume that if mounted properly, it
would ride correctly with hook point down
I used the pearlescent mylar
tubing for the body because it's darn fishy.
Emulating the trout fin patterns,
I chose the tri-colored throat to simulate a brook trout pectoral fin.
(I know....brook trout fry don't have spawning colors....so sue me.)
To add support, color, and
contrast to the wing, I chose to use some magical peacock herl. The
orange calf tail there adds the color and support.
I planned to simply finish
off the head at this point, but thought the pattern needed a dorsal fin.
I found a slightly larger pair of olive-dyed mallard flank feathers from
the bag, placed them concave sides together, and stripped off the barbules
on the bottom half of the feathers. This was then tied vertically
on top of the wing at the head.
Finally....I applied prismatic
stick-on eyes which were nicely in proportion to the streamer overall.
A couple coats of epoxy, and it's done!