The Global FlyFisher - The Largest and Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
New England Streamers
Foxee Missouri Minnow - Bruce Whittle
(Thunder Creek Style)
Submitted By Bruce Whittle
|HOOK||TIEMCO 300 OR STRAIGHT-EYE HOOK (I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE 300 SLIGHTLY TURNED DOWN EYE.)|
|BODY||FLAT SILVER TINSEL|
|RIB||EXTRA-SMALL OVAL SILVER TINSEL (JUST TO GIVE A LITTLE MORE TEXTURE)|
|WING||VENTRAL- TAN ARCTIC FOX HAIR / DORSAL- OLIVE ARCTIC FOX HAIR|
|HEAD||BUILT UP OF NEUTRAL COLORED DUBBING, IF DESIRED|
1. Tie in white thread. Make a body of flat silver tinsel with oval silver tinsel ribbing.
2. Tie in ventral and dorsal wing portions facing forward over the eye of the hook.
3. I dub a small amount of neutral colored dubbing over the head region to give the head a little more size.
4. tie the red thread in at the tie back point (approximately 1/4 to 1/3 shank back from eye depending upon desired appearance.)
5. Smoothly pull back wing portions, being careful not to mix colors. Tie down with red thread to simulate gills.
6. Coat with your choice of head cement - several thin coats allowing time in between to dry.
7. Form eyes with acrylic paint - yellow then a black pupil
8. Coat with several more coats of head cement.
This fly is tied in the style of Keith Fulsher's Thunder Creek series. The name is not meant to detract from Keith Fulsher but I did not think it appropriate to give it a Thunder Creek name. I have seen some variations tied with marabou which is where the idea came from to use the arctic fox. The colors better imitate the "minners" seen in Missouri streams than other variations I have seen. Hope to try them out next spring.
|More great articles on The Global FlyFisher|
|A couple of random articles|