The Global FlyFisher - The Largest and Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
New England Streamers
MARABOU MATUKA streamer submitted by Jimmie Toney - Matuka Streamer Swap
Submitted By Jimmie Toney
1. Position hook in vice, start thread and run to the hook bend. Bind on golden yellow yarn and heavy oval gold tinsel or gold wire. Run thread to position of throat.
2. Wrap golden yellow yarn around hook shank to throat, fasten with a few wraps and cut off excess.
3. Attach red wool and run thread to just behind the eye of the hook. Wrap red wool to just behind hook eye and fasten with a few thread wraps and trim red wool.
4. Select two or three marabou feathers and trim to length. Length should be about two hook lengths. Strip the underside of the feathers for about one hook length.
5. Attach marabou at front of hook just behind the eye laying trimmed section along top of hook shank.
6. Separate feather barbs of marabou and wrap with gold tinsel or wire at regular intervals along hook shank to just behind the eye secure with a few thread wraps and trim excess.
7. Build head with thread and secure with a few whip finishes.
Note: I finished the head of mine with a black enamel and several coats of head cement.