|Use of a microwave for dyeing fly tying materials
by Pat Orpen
The use of the microwave for small quantities of fur or feather is quite simple,and easily controlled.
- Prepare the material in the normal way
- Use a 2 or 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup, filling it half
- Add the dye--just a VERY small amount does the job
- Bring to the boil in the micro and IMMEDIATELY remove it from the chamber
- Check colouring progress
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar, return to micowave
- Cycle again until it reaches boiling, and remove.
- Rinse well in cold water
|I have found this a lot simpler and quicker than the saucepan and stove deal. Of course, it's no good for a production tyer!