Published Dec 29th 2013
This new section of small articles is aimed at the absolute beginner or the one who doesn't fly-fish or tie flies, and has no idea about the concepts of casting or fishing a fly.
The articles are going to try to answer really basic questions such as "what is fly-fishing?", "what is a fly rod?" and "what is a fishing fly?", but also go into more detailed terms such as "what is a dry fly?" and "what is a double haul?".
It's my intention to let this section grow slowly. I already have a long list of questions to answer, but will gladly welcome more.
This is what's published and what's in the pipeline:
- What is a fly rod? in What is.... Published January 23rd 2014
- What is fly-fishing? in Fish Better. Published January 12th 2014
- What is... in What is.... Published December 29th 2013
- What is a fly-line? in Fish Better not scheduled for publishing yet.
- What is a fishing fly? in What is... not scheduled for publishing yet.
OK...OK, I know that telling people what fly fishing is on one of the leading fly fishing sites on the web is kinda like kicking in an open door.
But GFF does get a huge number of search engine hits and internal searches with inquiries about the absolute basics of fly fishing, so this is the very basic definition of the term fly fishing and some other easey-to-understand articles about the fundamental terms...
If you're a seasoned fly-angler you can skip them - or read them. All that can happen is that your knowledge is confirmed, but you never know... you might learn something!