Top dropper

The Irish and the English often use a large bushy fly as the top dropper. This is an Olive Bumble.

Photo/illustration: Martin Joergensen ©2015

More pictures from this article

User comments
GFF staff comment
From: Martin Joergensen · martin·at·  Link
Submitted November 23rd 2013


It's the top fly - nearest to the rod - when you fish more than one fly, and in particular more than one dropper - the flies tied on the line above the point fly, which is the last one in the row. Read this article for way more on fishing several flies and droppers.


From: Sean - Full name and email anonymized  Link
Submitted November 22nd 2013

I am new to fly fishing. I have tied flies for about a year now give or take a month. I am a differently able person and haven't found anyone who wants to take me on and teach me the casting, and presentation 2/3 of the sport. But I keep hearing English, and Scottish, Irish tiers too, mention a top dropper. What is it. I know there must be nymphs tied to it somehow, because I heard one fellow tier say, "This is a good top dropper it will hold up a couple of tungstens." This page came up when I googled, What is a top dropper?

Want to comment this page? Fill out the form below.
Only comments
in English
are accepted!

Comentarios en Ingles
solamente, por favor!

Your name Your email
Anonymize my information. Name and email will not be shown with comment.
Notify me on new comments to this article on the above email-address.
You don't have to comment to start or stop notifications.

All comments will be screened by the GFF staff before publication.
No HTML, images, ads or links, please - we do not publish such comments...
And only English language comments will be published.
Name and email is optional but recommended.
The email will be shown in a disguised form in the final comment to protect you against spam
You can see other public comments on this page