Fishy photographer: Corey Kruitbosch
Corey Kruitbosch started shooting fly fishing about 8 or 9 years ago and doesn't shoot much else outside of fly fishing.
While scouting for photographers for our series on Fishy Photographers, I bumped into Corey Kruitbosch's name a couple of times, and found his beautiful images on Flickr. Corey has almost 2,000 stunning images in his stream.
Like before I approached him with our usual set of questions and he cordially replied and sent some samples of his work.
I actually started shooting fly fishing about 8 or 9 years ago. I don't really shoot much else outside of fly fishing. Photography is not my full time profession so I think I tend to stay pretty focused on something that I really have a passion for... fly fishing!
Do you have a particular subject, region or a style of pictures that you mainly shoot or are you more all-round?
I try to round out my photography as much as I can with trips, etc. Really though, I am in love with my home waters and the Rocky
Mountains. I tend to shoot the stuff that I fish on a frequent basis. I very much enjoy fishing and shooting small cutthroat waters, high
mountain lakes, and the prolific tail-waters throughout Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. I tend to try and keep my photos in the moment and when possible to capture the emotional character of the scene.
Where are your photos used? Books, magazines, brochures, ads, web sites, prints, gallery exhibits or other places?
I am fortunate enough to have had my photos published in many magazines, websites, and a few catalogs.
Is photography your main source of income - if at all a source of income - and do you do other jobs as a supplement?
No... for me photography is the supplement for my main income. I am a 3D Technical Artist working for Disney making video games. I also have a passion for my day job and love making video games. I have been a artist in the video game industry for about 18 years.
Can people buy your pictures and if so, then in which form and where?
Sure... I sell prints from my website. People can browse the gallery and choose anything they would like to get a print of. I also have a few prints already available for purchase on my web site.
Where do you currently live and work?
I currently live in Uintah, Utah and work in Salt Lake City Utah.
What's in your bag? Preferred cameras, bodies, lenses and other gear?
When I am out wading I carry my Canon 7D and a plastic Lomo film camera. As far as lenses... I will usually take 2 or 3 lenses with me on the river. Something wide like the 10-22mm, a macro, and something solid like a 50mm.
I tend to like primes... They force me to take the time to set up my shot and think about my subject a little bit more. Plus, they are better low light lenses.
More Fishy Photographers
These are the shooters we have featured:
- Fly fishing photographers in Gallery. Published February 16th 2012
- Fishy photos: Jim Klug in Gallery. Published February 16th 2012
- Fishy photos: Mark Lance in Gallery. Published February 21st 2012
- Fishy photos: Aleksandar Vrtaric in Gallery. Published February 26th 2012
- Fishy photos: Jim Levison in Gallery. Published March 1st 2012
- Fishy photos: Angus Drummond in Gallery. Published March 10th 2012
- Fishy photos: Henry Hegeman in Gallery. Published May 13th 2012
- Fishy photos: Marcel Siegle in Gallery. Published May 28th 2012
- Fishy photos: Dennis Collier in Gallery. Published May 31st 2012
- Fishy photos: Jonas Hoholt in Gallery. Published June 3rd 2012
- Fishy photos: Stu Hastie in Gallery. Published July 6th 2012
- Fishy photos: Isaias Nicolaevici in Gallery. Published July 24th 2012
- Fishy photos: Harri Hytönen in Gallery. Published September 6th 2012
- Fishy photos: Barry Ord Clarke in Gallery. Published December 10th 2012
- Fishy photos: Michael Jensen in Gallery. Published January 10th 2013
- Fishy photos: Pasi Visakivi in Gallery. Published March 30th 2013
- Fishy photos: Nikola Novovic in Gallery. Published February 23rd 2014
- Fishy photos: Rudy van Duijnhoven in Gallery. Published March 14th 2014
- Fishy photos: Lukas Bammatter in Gallery. Published August 20th 2014
- Fishy photos: Soren Skarby in Gallery will be published on March 20th 2015
Are you an enthusiastic fly fishing photographer? Pro, semi-pro, amateur? We don't care as long as your pictures are good and get around.
Let us know. Contact Martin through mail and your work can become a part of the Fishy Photographers series.