The Global FlyFisher
Simply the Best Place to go for Online Fly Fishing and Fly Tyinghttp://globalflyfisher.com/staff/roman-scharabun
I recieved a mail from Roman, who's based in Alberta Canada, in December 1998. He wrote:
"I don't know if you would be interested in this but I'll offer it just in case. The chart was originally to be included in the book that Malcolm Knopp and I am writing on tying and fishing Mayfly imitations from around the world but Gary LaFontaine (who is publishing the text) felt that it would date the book too quickly so Malcolm and I decided not to include it.
Let me know if you'd be interested in something like this on your website."
Of course I graciously accepted the offer and here is the table for your benefit:
Roman's and Malcolm's book will be published by Gary LaFontaine in the spring of 1999. Roman writes:
"Thank you for your enthusiasm in accepting the hook chart. At the moment we're still trying to decide on a title for the text. Gary has made a suggestion or two but it seems like we're too focused on the writing and tying aspects to have given it very much thought yet. I'll let you know when we have decided on one."
Roman adds these details about the book:
- it's been in the works for about 3 years now and we expect to have it printed at the beginning of the year 2000.
- it covers mayflies only
- deals with mayflies, tying, and fishing the patterns.
- expect to include many international patterns that haven't appeared before or at least not in North America. I've sent out over 100 e-mails to people around the world (excluding England and North America) and have gotten a "fair" response regards new mayfly patterns. Hope to be able to get many more to include.
- will include detailed tying steps through photos for all patterns in the book.
- will include an extensive chapter on speed tying under two basic headings of tools and technique, and "psychology" of tier with speed.
- book will be in large format (same as Malcolm's previous book "Mayflies, an Anglers Study of Ephemeroptera").
- we'll be doing much of the tying photography this winter and some of the other chapters have already been completed.