Permission for Personal Use
We often recieve mails asking permission to use material from this web site. We are genuinely thrilled that visitors like you think so highly of our material that you wish to use it elsewhere. Since, however, contributions come from a network of staff editors, we are obligated to keep a watchful eye on the material found on this site.
This site is covered by copyright whether the page is marked © (copyright) or not. Contrary to popular belief, publishing material and images on the web does not make it public domain; it's just another form of publishing. It just so happens to be easier for folks with a computer to use the images and text now!
Summary of What To Do:
What you can do without asking:
- Want to print out material from this site for your own use?
That's OK, go ahead and print
- Want to use graphics, text and other intellectual property from this site in your web page? That's not OK. We want things to be unique on the net and want to avoid redundance!. You can't just insert the URL pointing to our graphics either. These graphics and pictures are protected by a general copyright - in other words: they are ours!
- Want to use material from this site for inclusion in your non-profit organization newsletter? That's generally OK, but we ask that you gain permission from the author first. Use this form to ask permission.
- Want to commerically tie patterns found on this site? Absolutely not OK. This site if for the personal flyfisher, not an idea-bed for the commercial money-hound. Read our site philosophy..
What you definitely can't do without asking:
- You are very welcome to print or copy anything from this site
for your own personal use. Examples: print a story for bed time reading, copy a pattern to store for later tying, use a picture as a desktop wallpaper.
- You are very welcome to tie and use any fly patterns from the site
for your own personal use. Examples: fill your boxes with flies from this site, modify them, fish them, frame them... whatever. If someone asks you where you got that pattern, be sure to tell them The Global FlyFisher!
- You are very welcome use any tip, recipe, knot, idea that you got from the site for your own personal use. Example: make loop connections, furled leaders, wading staffs and so on. Be sure to credit the originater when asked; we have a large staff of editors that donate original material to our site. Please respect their copyright wishes as well.
If you want to use material in a way not mentioned, please feel free to contact us and ask permission. We're kind hearted persons, and will often grant that permission. Since we are a network of many contributors, we are obligated to watchdog the material found on this site.
- Please don't use the content of this site for commercial use. This means you may not re-produce text, pictures, drawings, ideas or any other intelectual property to make money for yourself or your company or your non-profit organization.
- Please don't tie original patterns found here in a commercial nature. We have many patterns contributed by our staff editors that are personal favorites. Respect their copyrights.
- Please don't comercially produce and sell products originated on this site.
- Please don't incorporate material from this site in other products without prior written consent. Use the contact form to ask GFF permission.
- Please don't publish material from this site in other printed or electronic publications - commercial or not - without asking for prior written consent. Use the contact form to ask GFF permission.