• Reply to: The strike   4 days 20 hours ago

Peter,

While it might feel like a reflex, it's just something you have learned and which - to to quote Yoda - unlearn you must.

In stead of the knee jerk (or rather elbow jerk) reaction, start thinking when a fish strikes and control the immediate reaction, saying to yourself: take it easy, wait for it... wait for it... now!

And let the strike be more subtle. My best strikes are - as I write - almost no-strikes, where I let the fish do most of the hooking, just making sure that I have good contact with the fly, and don't lift the rod before the fish is actually hooked.

• Reply to: The strike   4 days 20 hours ago

Striking feels more like a instinctive reaction than something you can delay.
    I wonder how you did learn to pause slightly?

• Reply to: Trout in Colors   1 week 4 days ago

Just found your site and watched your "Trout in Colors" video and I must say, it was beautiful! I just wish it could have been longer. I could have watched that for an hour! It shows what non fisherman don't understand about fly fishing, it's really not about just catching fish. It's the swishing of the line in the air, the gulping rises of the fish, the wonderful sounds of nature and of course, the spectacular colors! The one image that stands out was the absolutely perfect mirror image of the trees on the far side of the lake. SPECTACULAR!
    Thank you for sharing that.

• Reply to: Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail   1 week 5 days ago

Very good video? It gives great info on the "Y" side of things. Looking forward for more and visiting his web site.

• Reply to: How to act right   3 weeks 4 days ago

In the putting on of the waders - I didn’t see where you mentioned putting on the all important wading belt.

• Reply to: Ray's Fly...and tweaking...   3 weeks 4 days ago

How's it going Pete. You and the pups are well.

Art

• Reply to: Do you like this site?   1 month 1 week ago

John,

Both Ko-fi an Patreon accept payments with PayPal, so the options can both be used in the US as well as in Europe and the rest of the world.

• Reply to: Do you like this site?   1 month 1 week ago

Any american way to donate bucks? PayPal? Band Check?

• Reply to: Rattlesnake Streamer   1 month 2 weeks ago

Great Pattern....Can't wait to try it!

• Reply to: Real Enough!   2 months 1 week ago

James,

The shrimp fly was submitted for an article many, many years ago, and there was only this one finished fly and no other information: no materials, no description, no step-by-step.

The only way to get it tied is probably to arm yourself with some LCR (Lagathu very likely used epoxy), some mono eyes, a bit of hair and dubbing, rib etc. and start experimenting.

• Reply to: Real Enough!   2 months 6 days ago

i was just wondering if there are any videos or step by step instructions on how to tie the Lagathu's shrimp fly ? I found lots of pics on the global fly fisher site just cant seem to find a how to make section any help on this would be very helpful thank you

• Reply to: Tom's Vise   2 months 3 weeks ago

Congratulations Tom, when I saw the drawings, the metal and wood parts and the design I thought of a project in style Leonardo da Vinci, magnificent.