• Reply to: Stonfo Elite Bobbin Review   11 months 3 days ago

Steamboat, I'm really sorry to hear this and have yet to experience that with any of mine (and I have over a dozen of these Stonfo bobbins I use regularly). The main thread I use is UNI and I vary between all three sizes of bobbins. Losing tension never happens, plus I tend to modify it depending on the style of fly I'm tying and required pressure. In regards to fraying, that has rarely happened to me, and in most cases it has, the issue has related to something else. I would suggest contacting either the shop you purchased them from or Stonfo directly because something doesn't sound right. Let me know how it works out (my email is listed through my website, Trout and Feather). Tim

• Reply to: Leader knots   11 months 3 days ago

Good article and advice. I've found however that an UNI knot with each end of material to join them is as good as the blood knot, is easier to tie and works well when there are significant differences in the diameter of the material.

• Reply to: Doping   10 months 2 weeks ago

standing with the sore foot in cold water will really help you.I really sad about you after reading your story.It will really disappear once the surgery heals.

• Reply to: Don't tie flies   11 months 1 week ago

While in principle I agree that kits aren't usually the way to go, I have found one or two that are worth it, especially of you think of them as "Explore Fly Tying" kits. I dropped maybe $60 for a small tool kit (vise, scissors, bobbin, bodkin, threader, hackle pliers) and a very basic Wapsi materials kit. Are they great? No, I have replaced the vice and bought an additional bobbin. however it was enough tools and materials to get and keep me going until I figured out what I wanted to spend my money on. I wouldn't have gotten into fly tying if I had to start with a $160 Renzetti Traveler vise.

• Reply to: Butano Perdigon Nymph   11 months 2 weeks ago

Hi John,
    I wrote a blog about this specific topic. You can find it here.

• Reply to: Butano Perdigon Nymph   11 months 2 weeks ago

Considering the jig will ride hook point upwards towards the sky, and wing cases on naturals are also on the top of the fly, why not paint the wing case on the other side of the bead? this will ride visually upside down in this orientation.

• Reply to: Royal Wulff   11 months 2 weeks ago

Vey nice Barry. You had me from the start. I am a commercial tier and too bad your new "system" doesn't work on all patterns.

Best Regards

• Reply to: Damselfly Nymph   11 months 3 weeks ago

Good video, except all the chatter in the background. Geez guys, didn't ya know Maria was recording. Rude

• Reply to: Scissors for fly tying   11 months 3 weeks ago

Hi Martin,

Thanks for taking the time to sum up so many scissors in your article. I've tried so many makes and types of scissors so far and I've never been fully satisfied with them. My two must have criteria for the tying scissors are sharpness of course and thin blades (often I need to cut materials right at the very tying point of the hook or tube). For a couple of years I've been using scissors made by Polish company Renomed and those are the best I've ever come across. If you're still looking for the ultimate fly tying scissors then you should definitely try them.

All the best,

• Reply to: Jacket Blues   11 months 3 weeks ago

Columbia Queets River Jacket - bought this when I first got into fly fishing for $100 at Cabela's. I had no idea how lucky I was. No insulation, this is a shell, with plenty of room for layering. As Kalby64 mentioned, no useful hand pockets (there are 2, but low on the jacket, with zippers, but the zippers are covered by a flap at least, no fleece lining). But get this - one of the pockets is reversible and the whole jacket packs down into it and zips closed, about the size of a softball! The cuffs are just a neoprene sleeve, no velcro, nothing to snag a fly line on, and gloves slide right over them. Go ahead and stick you arm in the water up to the shoulder, you'll remain dry. The jacket is short (as a wading jacket SHOULD be), and has a neoprene waist that prevents water from getting into the jacket if you (briefly) get too deep. Hood is big, with a bill that covers your cap bill. Net D-ring on the back, 2 D-rings up front, and 2 zingers (think nippers, tippet, hemostats, and TY-RITE fly holder - we fish 24-28's often, so...) HUGE vertical chest pockets with big flaps to keep rain out. I have fished in torrential downpours and blizzards and always stayed BONE DRY AND WARM. After six hours in the rain, the outside of the jacket was wet, and heavy, but I was dry. By the morning the jacket was dry and ready to go again. It's not gortex but Columbia's Omni-Tech fabric with a silver reflective coating on the inside to reflect body heat. Not SUPER breatheable, but on par with all but the best goretex jackets. I've worn it with layers on days that started in the 20's and wound up in the 50's and never needed to take it off. They quit making the jacket after a legal battle over some copyright crap by another vendor (might have been patagonia). This is as close to the perfect wading jacket as you will find, so if you ever find one in good shape, BUY IT! And in case any manufacturers are trolling here, make a jacket like the Columbia Queets and add pit zips and a storage pocket on the back - you'll have yourself a winner.

• Reply to: Unreal Fly Fishing for Blue Sharks   11 months 3 weeks ago

@Bernd everyone is allowed an opinion.

Thanks for the view,

• Reply to: The brown trout rivers of Estonia   12 months 18 hours ago

do people fish for sea trout in Estonia as they do in other neigbouring countries? I