• Reply to: Shrimp anatomy for the fly tyer   3 months 3 weeks ago

I love these fly-tying theory articles. I find them much more useful to my development as a tyer and fisherman than simply memorizing a few specific patterns. Thank you.

• Reply to: Richard Katzman   3 months 3 weeks ago

John,

Use water and soap... simple as that. We have several articles on the site about cleaning materials, but this one should be useful in your case: http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/washing-your-materials

• Reply to: Fishy photos: Lukas Bammatter   3 months 3 weeks ago

The fish on the right side seems like a dinosaur! Weird!

May I share the picture on my WhatsApp Group? Thanks!

• Reply to: Taiwanese fly fishing   3 months 3 weeks ago

I know the spotsmenship of fishing should not measured by the size of your catchs, please take time to flyfish Tarpon, trust me you will get hooked.

• Reply to: Richard Katzman   3 months 3 weeks ago

I recently acquired some nice saddle hackle and capes but the previous owner stored them with mothballs. I have kept the material outside for ventilation but the feathers and skin are still very much consumed with the mothball vapors. Before I start using and handling the material I want to get rid of these harmful vapors. Do you have any recommendation on what I should use and the process I should take in cleaning, deoderizing and perseving this material? Thank you.

• Reply to: Hook selection   4 months 14 hours ago

I use Janns netcraft visual hook guide with actual templates to put your against. I use the fly tying hook sizing chart. it works for me Janns netcraft.com.

• Reply to: Why the drama?   4 months 2 days ago

competition on is for the ring, court or politics , I fish with the long rod for the shear mechanics of the sport, winter river fishing is my zen , the staccato of the tree branches in the wind , the soothing murmur of the riffle and if the fishing gods so decide the moaning of my hardy in to the backing in the morning mist that's all I ask for ,,clean water healthy fish and the pleasure of the release for another day.. thank you

• Reply to: Radoslav Kiskinov   4 months 2 days ago

Nice post about popular location. I'm currently planning new travel (to Belgium) and this information could be helpful. Thanks! Cheers!

• Reply to: Home made rod tubes   4 months 4 days ago

Nice project idea for winter time!
    I think it worth a little more effort to fix the lid that nice way like the bottom is made.

• Reply to: Picric acid   4 months 4 days ago

Joe,

The substance pricric acid is indeed explosive and considered quite hazardous. It was previously used in munitions and other explosives. So it's not a trivial substance to handle, but people who know how to store and work with it can usually do so quite safely.

• Reply to: Picric acid   4 months 5 days ago

I'm confused is Picric Acid yellow dye explosiv or not?

• Reply to: GFF DIY LED tying lamps   4 months 5 days ago

As an alternative power source for this lamp you could use one of the many USB power banks used for topping up phones. It would not be difficult to incorporate one into a vice base. I have one that came from Lidl for about 12 euros, and one off ebay with a built in solar charger. The solar charger would be ideal if you are going off grid, and want to tie.