• Reply to: Milkfish   10 months 2 weeks ago

I didn't say that you didn't fish flies!

I wrote: "I'm almost 100% sure that the worm you see in the video is a real worm, not a fly.". I was referring to the worm seen swimming in the video. You can see the frame with the worm below.

Is that a fly? If so, I'd love to have the pattern like Ron, because that's the most convincing worm imitation I have seen.

• Reply to: Milkfish   10 months 2 weeks ago

Hi mate I am the person that filmed this and guided the angler to lots of milkfish. I can guarantee that we were using flies if you look up my YouTube account there is another clip with the flies we use. I know that you have the right to comment but you could of also emailed me to ask.

• Reply to: Tigerfish from my Verandah   10 months 2 weeks ago

I was one of the privileged few that grew up in Rhodesia and spent my teen years catching tigers in Lake Kariba. The Zambezi Aristocrat was definitely the lure of choice. I'll be up in eastern Caprivi in two months time, using the same rod and Penn reel I used in my childhood, and will again enjoy casting into the Zambezi. Wish me luck :-)

• Reply to: Feather wings and treads   10 months 2 weeks ago

The best way to get the wings to sit is probably to pinch them really hard in place with your fingers over the hook and wing, then laying a loose loop of thread over them, taking the thread back up and pulling it tight using an upwards motion while holding the wing in place. This will have the thread going down on the wing and not twisting it as much. The thread usually has little effect when using that technique and it's even better to use a quite "sticky" thread than a smooth one because it will hold better once the first wraps are laid.

I hope this helps a bit.

• Reply to: Springulated flies   10 months 3 weeks ago

Notice the date on this post! I'm not sure the spring idea will work for real... but springs can be bought many places. I bought the ones seen here in a store that supplies parts for boats and cars. A whole selection of different springs for almost no money.

• Reply to: Springulated flies   10 months 3 weeks ago

Hi all,

a great idea to use such springs - but does anyone knows a vendor for such springs?

• Reply to: Short hook, long wing   10 months 3 weeks ago

This is one of those posts that will be around for several years. Really good one.

• Reply to: Karel Liška   10 months 3 weeks ago

Some wisdom by Karel Liska,

Karel Liska usually used only three flies, while his friends had a lot of patterns.

"There are three different days during trout season there.
    The first one, trout takes every reasonable fly, me and my friends catch a fish.
    The second, trout doesn't take every fly, if my friends don´t find the proper one, I´m not in disadvantage.
    The third, trout doesn't take any fly, then all of us catch nothing."

• Reply to: Leader knots   10 months 4 weeks ago

Try the "Infinity Knot" - best on-stream tippet to tippet knot ever. Takes less than 30 seconds to tie and is far superior to the Surgeons knot, double Uni, or Blood knot.

• Reply to: Spey Hackles   11 months 18 hours ago

Bob, 2 notes: 1: Poul Jorgensen took took large Marabou hackles, sprayed them with hair spray, and laid them wet on a piece of thick cardboard, and brushed them out with a stiff toothbrush. Resulted in a great heron like hackles.
    2. The Blue Eared Pheasant has tail fthrs, with unbelievably long fibers. Several inches! I have used them on large dee flies, they do not clump at all, almost exactly like heron in the water. I also like to use large Gadwall fthrs, strripped one side, they are almost like Kori Bustard hackles. Cheers, Joel

• Reply to: Illustrated knot table   11 months 1 day ago

The Double Davy knot is the best dry fly knot NO contest. Very simple, very fast, very strong, very reliable, very small footprint, little wasted tippet.

• Reply to: IBRA Bamboo Journal N 17 now online   11 months 2 days ago

Any one out there ,to help me reclame my old bamboo rods. Ii would like to reclame for fishing all are very good ,all joints are solide , but do need some work , varnishing would be nescessary, place knew guides and one a new handle , i am looking for a book or a site to help me reclame these rods, i have a beautifull two hand salmon rod like new and one trout that is over 150 yrs old , none carry any names except the salmon , this would be a great winter project thank you for the help