• Reply to: DIY material spring   3 months 2 weeks ago

I don't think the height matters much. The springs I have used and made ride directly on the vise shaft and that has worked fine. Actually I think I prefer the spring to be in line with the hook shank.

• Reply to: Unreal Fly Fishing for Blue Sharks   3 months 2 weeks ago

This Video has in my opinion nothing to do with flyfishing. Why is it nessecary to flyrod under all circumstances for species like different sharks, when it`s clear, that the handling of the fish after fighting is not only difficult, but also damaging for the sharks? Sorry, definitly NO cool guys, but only man who like to chase records. A real bad picture of our Sport. I flyfish for exact 37 years for a lot of species, because I think, flyfishing is the most natural and fair way to catch fish. But: Sometimes it is not enough just to "cast" a flyrod to be a true flyfisher....

• Reply to: DIY material spring   3 months 3 weeks ago

Martin, I am grateful for all your information.
    Regarding your project, DIY material spring.
    I would be interested to know if you think the
    height of the above the primary rotary shaft matters.
    For example the Renzetti Master Vise Material Clip,
    the PeakK Material Clip, and the DYNA-KING Add On
    Material Clips are all elevated above the shaft.
    However many vise manufactures use springs that are
    directly on the shaft. Please tell me your thoughts.

• Reply to: Building a Tapered Leader   3 months 3 weeks ago

Clear and easy to understand video of the major steps involved in the construction of homemade leaders. Great general reference.

• Reply to: Wally Wing Mayfly   3 months 3 weeks ago

Problem with the wings much to long what size feather should i use

• Reply to: Let’s support Davie McPhail   3 months 3 weeks ago

Martin,

Have been watching Davie for years and telling many students in many classes to watch his videos. Did not even see the "Donate" link. I'll send Davie a note to make it BIGGER. Just sent a donation. Well worth it.

Thanks for bringing this to a fans attention!

Ian

• Reply to: Thread control   3 months 4 weeks ago

Dan,

The article pretty clearly says "We'll also assume that you are a right hand tyer winding the thread clockwise on the hook when it's seen from the hook eye end."
    I think that about covers the left/right hand issue.

Regarding Danville, it's simply not there because I hadn't tied much with it when this article was written 15 years ago. I have since tried it, but have to say that I don't fully agree that it's the best thread out there. Horses for courses, you know. Thread choice is very dependent on what and how you tie.

• Reply to: Thread control   3 months 4 weeks ago

This article is short on some things. Left hand tiers take the twist out. Righties are the only ones effected. And not to mention Danvilles thread - you all missed the best thread out there. Does all that the others do +.

• Reply to: The fish of a lifetime   3 months 4 weeks ago

congratulations on a prize catch, and a release to spawn and fight another day, what a beautiful searun ,and on a six weight as well, thank you for sharing a truly great fly fishing adventure with us it seems that you have the best searun coast in Denmark, looking forward to casting a line there myself . ,all the best cbrian

• Reply to: The fish of a lifetime   4 months 1 day ago

Congrats on what indeed is a fish of a lifetime!Great to see it returned,so she can spawn again and maybe take in interest in my fly next time.

• Reply to: Solar Wind Variation   4 months 2 days ago

what a beautiful fly!!! I really do love this fly. congrats to you for tying this beauty.

• Reply to: Preserving Feathers   4 months 5 days ago

This is exactly the information I sought.
    Thanks