• Reply to: Thread control   3 weeks 3 days ago

This article is short on some things. Left hand tiers take the twist out. Righties are the only ones effected. And not to mention Danvilles thread - you all missed the best thread out there. Does all that the others do +.

• Reply to: The fish of a lifetime   3 weeks 5 days ago

congratulations on a prize catch, and a release to spawn and fight another day, what a beautiful searun ,and on a six weight as well, thank you for sharing a truly great fly fishing adventure with us it seems that you have the best searun coast in Denmark, looking forward to casting a line there myself . ,all the best cbrian

• Reply to: The fish of a lifetime   3 weeks 6 days ago

Congrats on what indeed is a fish of a lifetime!Great to see it returned,so she can spawn again and maybe take in interest in my fly next time.

• Reply to: Solar Wind Variation   4 weeks 20 hours ago

what a beautiful fly!!! I really do love this fly. congrats to you for tying this beauty.

• Reply to: Preserving Feathers   1 month 1 day ago

This is exactly the information I sought.
    Thanks

• Reply to: Cutting and buying zonker strips   1 month 2 days ago

Excellent, very interesting technique, shall be making a cutter tomorrow.
    Mike

• Reply to: DIY bodkin cleaner   1 month 4 days ago

One can get the 35mm film canisters on Amazon. I just purchased 25 for $10.00 U.S.

• Reply to: Let’s support Davie McPhail   1 month 5 days ago

The donate button can be found under the home tab on the YouTube Channel. I consider Davie mcphail the Ronaldo of fly-tying, and his videos help thousends of Tyers to raise their game, worth a donation!

• Reply to: Let’s support Davie McPhail   1 month 6 days ago

Just started tying flies. I was introduced by a friend (a great fly tyer also)to McPhail. Great Vids!
    sent him a donation.

• Reply to: Heads   2 days 1 hour ago

Danny,

You are so right a fly with an ugly head will catch fish and can be durable, but still I will prefer the one with the nice head. As you can read in the article, nice heads reflect good tying skills, and good tying skills mean durable flies. And a large head with many wraps does NOT equal a more durable fly - more like the opposite. The final wraps on the fly shouldn't be all that holds it together.

It's like a meal. Something that looks disgusting can taste very well and fill you, but personally I'd still prefer something that looks delicious and does the same. There's no reason that it looks bad when you can make it look good - unless the aim is to make it look bad.

• Reply to: Heads   1 month 1 week ago

I started tying flys in the 70's off and on in my spare time. Until about 20 years ago and started tying on a regular basis. Alot of people have said they like my flys. I have posted them on Facebook and on Instagram. I know some of my flys have large heads, out of proportion sometimes. But know this, I can catch 10 or more trout on one of my flys as opposed to some of the others that are beautiful but come apart after a few casts. And mind you I said casts, not fish strikes. If it makes you happy to tye a fly that is beautiful but not durable, then have at it. To me my materials for tying flys are too expensive to be lost after only a cast or two. Hey!!! The name of the game is tying fishing flys to catch fish. Not to be put in a frame for the Den or Office wall just because it looks good. That may be okay for guys that follow traditional fly tying. Believe me I tye Classic Salmon flys to catch fish. Not hang on my wall. The materials cost can financially put you in the poor house. I have cut my costs by tying with substitutes rather than the rare and sometimes illegal materials that would put you in jail.
    Guys, the only advice about Fly Heads I can give you is tye with what you are comfortable with. Be it shiney and plastic looking, to rough and wraps exposed. Whatever you as a fly fisherman is happy with and it catches you fish. Who cares if it looks a little rough or shiney as a new penny. The idea is its your fly you made and tyed with your two hands and it catches fish. The name of the game.

• Reply to: Stonfo Elite Bobbin Review   1 month 1 week ago

Tim, I love your videos but I think you're way off base with this review. In my opinion, this is the worst tension controlled bobbin holder on the market. I bought a compact and a standard based on your review and both fray thread (Veevus, UTC, Uni), break thread, and lose tension constantly. Frustrated with this, I did more research and found that these are common problems with Stonfo bobbins. I love my Stonfo vise and other tools, but these bobbin holders are garbage. I now use mine for wire. If you have some secret on how to make them suck less, I would love to hear it. Cheers.