• Reply to: Not Everyone’s cup of tea   1 month 4 weeks ago

Great story Korrie! Reminds me a lot of rain non-stop rain I experienced in Alaska during the summer. Your descriptions of the moments of sun are spot on and I couldn't help to laugh at your South African wit. You must be related to Trevor Noah?

• Reply to: What is a switch rod?   1 month 4 weeks ago

Hi, I was wondering if you could twist the butt end off a switch rod? thanks

Quinn

• Reply to: Big Takes, Big Smiles   2 months 5 days ago

Do not book with Arnar Tomas/Icelandic Flytours.
    We booked him to drive us to Arnarvatnsheidi, buy licenses, give us info on the fishing and pick us up.

Someone else (a friend of his friend) drove us out, we never saw the licenses and he never showed up to pick us up. He left us stranded in "the middle of nowhere"! He never gave an explanation and has ignored all other attempts from us to contact him during the last 5 weeks.

• Reply to: Fly Tying Thread Table   2 months 6 days ago

In the glossary, denier is listed as a category of fly tying thread. Your text states the following..."It is not an indication of thickness or strength?
    My question is this. Why is denier even considered a category to be considered regarding fly tying thread if it is not an indication of thickness or strength?

• Reply to: Tak's Go 2 Prince Nymph   2 months 1 week ago

Thanks for posting this video, very instructive. What size hook do you use for fishing this fly on the Poudre?

• Reply to: Dan Pierce, Tenkara Instructor   2 months 3 weeks ago

Sebastian,

This debate comes up ever so often. The article about bubble float fishing that I republished recently has a lengthy comment track about the same subject - http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/fishing-a-bubble

Whenever people talk about Czech nymphing, ceramic nymphs, Perdigon nymphs and even just fishing with a weighted fly, someone will dispute that it's "real" fly fishing.

I usually stay out of the debate. Where does the boundary go? You have to cast the fly with a line? Well, there's no casting in Tenkara or Czech nymphing.
    How far to you have to cast? Is a roll cast a "real" cast? Or dapping?
    Is a massive, solid saltwater baitfish fly tied with foam and epoxy a fly?
    Is a red hook that looks like a blood worm a fly and are you really fly fishing when you fish that?
    Is it fly fishing when you troll a large NE streamer behind a boat?

I'm not going to be the judge of all these cases. My personal opinion is that fly fishing is a very wide array of fishing types, and certainly not only when you cast a light fly overhead using a classic fly line.

But the debate is not going to end there, I'm sure.

• Reply to: Dan Pierce, Tenkara Instructor   2 months 3 weeks ago

With all respect for the tenkara enthousiasts, I wonder if you can call it fly fishing. It is done with a fly and it really is fishing, but it is as much fly fishing as fishing with a spinning rod and a buldo with some flies attached to it. Would you call playing golf so, if you are only putting and only play on the greens? In my opinion making a well placed cast to the other side of the river with a fly rod, is unquestionable part of fly fishing as well.

• Reply to: Casual Dress   2 months 3 weeks ago

This has been my primary pattern in Western PA for over 50 years
    changes I have made as follows:
    #10 streamer hook with 10 to 12 wraps of .015 lead
    recently I have tied smaller versions using MINK and # 8 using BEAVER
    same pattern but with a different look / color in the water.
    thanks for posting by far my favorite fly pattern.

• Reply to: Welding your loops   3 months 5 days ago

You can not do Rais in boiling water. Yes the heat shrink tubing may shrink, but the soul purpose is to MELT the outter plastic coating of the fly line.

• Reply to: Chuck Caddis   3 months 5 days ago

HI
    Thanks for the great video. I have been using this fly for some years now but have run
    into a problem. Store bought Dubbing labeled dirty orange is now very orange and does not
    look like the dubbing in your video or what I have used in the past. I have found
    the hits on the fly have significantly reduced. DO you mix your dubbing to create dirty orange
    or have a source that still supplies the same dubbing color. Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards

JohnM

• Reply to: 10 rules for C&R   3 months 1 week ago

Sam,

I certainly respect you view, and I fully agree that setting a hook in a fish must be painful for the fish - although not in any way comparable to our concept of "painful". But you are still right: if you do not want to inflict that kind of pain or discomfort on the fish, don't fish, period.

And I also agree that damaging the fish will indeed increase the risk of infection for the single fish. Any wound will do that weather it's inflicted by a hook, a landing net, human hands, a predator, contact with a rock during spawning or whatnot. But I cannot understand how this can "spread fish kill" unless you mean something else than most people when you say fish kill.

The term is usually used for fish dying off in huge numbers, typically due to some environmental problem like pollution or lack of oxygen and is usually not connected with wounds or bacteria (unless of course the pollution is bacteria, which it very rarely is).

So I fail to see the connection there.

And it probably won't come as a surprise to you that I don find it OK to "either fish to get the food or just don't fish at all". I fish for food and keep fish for the pot, but once I have what I want, I don't stop fishing. I take the liberty of keeping on and releasing the fish I might catch after having taken what I want. It's my choice, and as long as it's legal and even commonplace, I'll most likely keep on doing it.

• Reply to: 10 rules for C&R   3 months 1 week ago

catch and release is painful, damaging and can spread fish kill via bacteria.
    now, either fish to get the food or just don't fish at all.
    ok?