• Reply to: Don't tie flies   2 months 2 weeks ago

While in principle I agree that kits aren't usually the way to go, I have found one or two that are worth it, especially of you think of them as "Explore Fly Tying" kits. I dropped maybe $60 for a small tool kit (vise, scissors, bobbin, bodkin, threader, hackle pliers) and a very basic Wapsi materials kit. Are they great? No, I have replaced the vice and bought an additional bobbin. however it was enough tools and materials to get and keep me going until I figured out what I wanted to spend my money on. I wouldn't have gotten into fly tying if I had to start with a $160 Renzetti Traveler vise.

• Reply to: Butano Perdigon Nymph   2 months 3 weeks ago

Hi John,
    I wrote a blog about this specific topic. You can find it here. http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blog/wingcases-to-invert-or-not-to-invert-that-is-the-question

• Reply to: Butano Perdigon Nymph   2 months 3 weeks ago

Considering the jig will ride hook point upwards towards the sky, and wing cases on naturals are also on the top of the fly, why not paint the wing case on the other side of the bead? this will ride visually upside down in this orientation.

• Reply to: Royal Wulff   2 months 4 weeks ago

Vey nice Barry. You had me from the start. I am a commercial tier and too bad your new "system" doesn't work on all patterns.

Best Regards

Steve

• Reply to: Damselfly Nymph   3 months 1 day ago

Good video, except all the chatter in the background. Geez guys, didn't ya know Maria was recording. Rude

• Reply to: Scissors for fly tying   3 months 1 day ago

Hi Martin,

Thanks for taking the time to sum up so many scissors in your article. I've tried so many makes and types of scissors so far and I've never been fully satisfied with them. My two must have criteria for the tying scissors are sharpness of course and thin blades (often I need to cut materials right at the very tying point of the hook or tube). For a couple of years I've been using scissors made by Polish company Renomed and those are the best I've ever come across. If you're still looking for the ultimate fly tying scissors then you should definitely try them.

All the best,
    Janusz

• Reply to: Jacket Blues   3 months 1 day ago

Columbia Queets River Jacket - bought this when I first got into fly fishing for $100 at Cabela's. I had no idea how lucky I was. No insulation, this is a shell, with plenty of room for layering. As Kalby64 mentioned, no useful hand pockets (there are 2, but low on the jacket, with zippers, but the zippers are covered by a flap at least, no fleece lining). But get this - one of the pockets is reversible and the whole jacket packs down into it and zips closed, about the size of a softball! The cuffs are just a neoprene sleeve, no velcro, nothing to snag a fly line on, and gloves slide right over them. Go ahead and stick you arm in the water up to the shoulder, you'll remain dry. The jacket is short (as a wading jacket SHOULD be), and has a neoprene waist that prevents water from getting into the jacket if you (briefly) get too deep. Hood is big, with a bill that covers your cap bill. Net D-ring on the back, 2 D-rings up front, and 2 zingers (think nippers, tippet, hemostats, and TY-RITE fly holder - we fish 24-28's often, so...) HUGE vertical chest pockets with big flaps to keep rain out. I have fished in torrential downpours and blizzards and always stayed BONE DRY AND WARM. After six hours in the rain, the outside of the jacket was wet, and heavy, but I was dry. By the morning the jacket was dry and ready to go again. It's not gortex but Columbia's Omni-Tech fabric with a silver reflective coating on the inside to reflect body heat. Not SUPER breatheable, but on par with all but the best goretex jackets. I've worn it with layers on days that started in the 20's and wound up in the 50's and never needed to take it off. They quit making the jacket after a legal battle over some copyright crap by another vendor (might have been patagonia). This is as close to the perfect wading jacket as you will find, so if you ever find one in good shape, BUY IT! And in case any manufacturers are trolling here, make a jacket like the Columbia Queets and add pit zips and a storage pocket on the back - you'll have yourself a winner.

• Reply to: Unreal Fly Fishing for Blue Sharks   3 months 5 days ago

@Bernd everyone is allowed an opinion.

Thanks for the view,

Dan

• Reply to: The brown trout rivers of Estonia   3 months 1 week ago

do people fish for sea trout in Estonia as they do in other neigbouring countries? I

• Reply to: LeaderCalc 2016   3 months 1 week ago

Harry,

I'm glad you like LeaderCalc, even though I'm quite sure that 1970 is a bit exaggerated. The system is much younger than that, but anyhow... And with regards to the new version, you will not need to download anything, but can use it directly from the site.

• Reply to: LeaderCalc 2016   3 months 1 week ago

I've used LeaderCalc since 1970 and love it. Used mostly for wet & dry fly fishing, Steelhead & Trout. I was weeding out my favorite's & Bookmarks which have grown quite large over the years, clicked on "The Global FlyFisher's" web page just to see what's new and found that you updated "LeaderCalc" Downloading it today & can't wait to see what's new. Thank's guy's for such a fine product. hcmiller

• Reply to: Classic Wet Flies   3 months 2 weeks ago

Thank you , for a look at flies from the past, now i am doing them and enjoying to tie them very much, i have the veniards book and there's a bunch of flies calling to be tied.I always found it difficult for the wings but the more i tie the more i like to tie them. Is there threads that tie feather wings better
    Thanks