• Reply to: Chinos!   4 months 1 week ago

To avoid roll over of synthetics, I tie in a few long strands of deer tail hair at the end of the shank.

• Reply to: Czech Nymphing   4 months 1 week ago

Discussion "what is not fly fishing" is as old as fly fishing itself :-). I live in Poland now, where this method very popular, but called "Polish nymphing", which is the same in my opinion. Also it's popular in Slovakia where I'm fishing quite often, maybe they call it "Slovak nymphing"? :-) I learned interesting technique from Slovak guide on river Vah, which is combination of Czech/Polish nymphing and wet fly swing. In this method 3 flies are used. Anchor fly is heavier nymph, used for weight, middle fly is very light nymph, and top fly is a wet fly, usually spider pattern. Cast flies slightly upstream, follow it with the rod tip, then in the middle of the run rod is gradually lowered. When the rig is on 45 degrees downstream from the angler, fly line and rod almost dropped to the water. So it ends up like classic downstream swing. I tried that in the riffle full of graylings and trout, and half of fish takes were on wet fly, when rig was 45 degree downstream or in the lower part of the drift.

• Reply to: Tom's Vise   4 months 3 weeks ago

Wow, amazing work!

Would it be possible to have the measurements of such a wonderful vise? I'd like to have students build one.

Thanks a lot.

• Reply to: Trutta Bavaria   5 months 1 week ago

Great story!!! Great Film!!! Thanks for showing it us!

• Reply to: Squirmy nymphs for black bass   5 months 1 week ago

a drop of super glue is what I use

also I found yards and yards of silicone cord in assorted diameters at a craft store (closeout)
    works quite well

• Reply to: Morrish Mouse   5 months 2 weeks ago

At the lake close to home,Long island, ny. the Morrish mouse is the absolute best at producing.
    Fresh water. large mouth bass, pickerel, bluegill, crappie. That's so far. Haven't
    tried it versus trout yet. but soon! A pattern well-worth the short time to learn spinning hair
    and good thread application. Thanks for the brevity and skillz.

• Reply to: Wanna tie a big fly?   5 months 2 weeks ago

Many of the hair extensions and the wig hairs suffer from the same syndrome as many commercial synthetic hairs: they felt. This doesn't go for all colors, kinds and brands, only some. You will have to test them before using them extensively. But that's also the case with what you buy in fly shops.

Regarding the rest of your advice, you are so right as we have already covered in several articles like these:
    Inexpensive materials
    Wash-n-Dry Dubbing

• Reply to: Wanna tie a big fly?   5 months 2 weeks ago

Hair extentions dont work well. When wet they clump together. I havent tried waxing them yet but after the first cast, the large fly looks and turns over very poorly. The action in the water sucks too. I used Haloween neon blue and white i found at a party shop last year.

I found that tube bodies can be found on head gear in the Halloween isle at Wal-Mart last year for $2. Each head band has i believe four 18" tubes of different colors. The tubs have flash in them and they work great for all patterns that use tube bodies. Don't bother looking for them in Flemming Island. I buy buckets full.

Eyes are commonly found in craft sections as well. Flat-back gems and bedazzle stickers work well. I use a sharpie to make the pupil black. They are easy to use and i bought a jar full for $10, and its about 500 mixed size and color. Quality sticker gems work great too.

I found that dryer lint can be used as a fine dubbing if used in a dub loop.

Coat hanger, shrink wrap and a pen ink tube work well for bobbins if you are crafty. I used all homemade tools for years including a vice i made from scrap metal stock. Nothing is more rewarding than DIY plus Fly fishing

• Reply to: New Member   5 months 2 weeks ago

Welcome to the site, and I'm glad you found some useful information. Good luck with the pike tubes! Fun to tie, fun to fish.

• Reply to: Generic Mayfly Nymph   5 months 3 weeks ago

Nice job

• Reply to: Twined or furled leaders   5 months 3 weeks ago

The copper wire idea is highly experimental, and I have tried using it for the leaders, but it breaks very easily and also adds unwanted stiffness to the leader. I simply took a length or two of thin wire (from an electrical transformer) and laid is along the two legs before untwisting them. Then the copper wire twisted in nicely. But even though it did work, the leaders didn't last for long before the wire oxidized and as said: it was quite stiff too.

I think using a thin fluorocarbon mono for the leaders would be a better alternative to get something sinking... even though it of course sinks much more slowly than a copper wire.

• Reply to: Twined or furled leaders   5 months 3 weeks ago

Somewhere at the top of this article is mentioned creating weighted leaders by adding copper wire. Where would one add that in? Is there another article elsewhere where this is described? Thanks in advance!