View topic - Keel Hook Herring - Discussion forum and board - Global FlyFisher

GFF logo

Keel Hook Herring
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin

Location: Area61 Skunk Works, Kape Kodistan, das Peoples Republik of Taxachusetts USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Keel Hook Herring Reply with quote
I've taken Owner and Gamagatsu worm hooks and turned them into a keel/hook-up HerringPhly that works well up the estuary creeks enroute to herring runs.
Despite the tight quarters, BIG Stripes will follow the spring herring into shallow/narrow bits of secret waters all in search of StriperCandy...
Casts are maybe 15 meters max. When used with a floating line, the long hackles insinuate life "movement" even when the fly is left to its' own devices...the retrieve is a mild twitch combined with long dead drifts. The cleanly hidden keel hook is less apt to foul on grass/weeds and structure but the very WIDE gap allows for a pointy surprise when the time is right and the planets allign!

#7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.56 KB
 Viewed:  1069 Time(s)

#7.jpg

'Striving for the "JACK C FACTOR" !!!
louberrrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: re: keel hook herring Reply with quote
Looks deadly. nice work Very Happy I want to give that fly a try around where i live.
Penguin

Location: Area61 Skunk Works, Kape Kodistan, das Peoples Republik of Taxachusetts USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Colour variation... Reply with quote
Same basic scheme...

#6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.71 KB
 Viewed:  1035 Time(s)

#6.jpg

louberrrr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you've got something there Idea . I like that color better
Penguin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Synthetic Variations Reply with quote
SuperHair and Phlash and BigEyez...

HookUps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.18 KB
 Viewed:  1133 Time(s)

HookUps.jpg

Penguin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Owner Oversize 7/0 #5110-171 Reply with quote
Not nearly as disciplined and minimal as the Right Honourable Adrian Sharp's beauty...
I tend to transfer the phuzzy notion in my head onto the hook with the gradual application of the appropriate phur, pheathers, and phlash...a recipe would do me good!
This one is a bit too long but I'll tank test it before clipping adjustments are performed...
A slow retrieve or a dead drift will allow for lots of undulation and subtle bite-me movement.

OwnerHookUpHerring2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.22 KB
 Viewed:  934 Time(s)

OwnerHookUpHerring2.jpg

Greased Liner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very good. I just got an email from Adrian about these hooks. There are many pluses to these hooks but his one negative comment was his hook-up to landing ratio was low when the barb is crushed--a big negative. I know Adrian's a good fisherman so I don't think it is the operator's problem. Have you had a similar problem or do you not crush your barbs?

Here's a little flatwing for the flats. Up-turned hook prevents dull hooks from sand and clam shells.

olivia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.99 KB
 Viewed:  943 Time(s)

olivia.jpg

Greased Liner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Colour variation... Reply with quote
Penguin wrote:
Same basic scheme...
How about a recipe for this herring, the second herring? Thanks.
Penguin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Thatz a phact... Reply with quote
My intended target with large herring tube and keel phlyz is Mrs BigStripe making her way up tidal estuaries hot on the heels of Spring herring...
Under these conditions (and when I'm Albie fishin') I confess to using barbed hooks and my landing success rate has been good... Embarassed
I'm using an overlined 10wt with a floater and short 20# flourocarbon leader under low light situations...NO fly shredding tippet clipping toothy Blues to worry about and junior Stripes haven't been an issue (so far) since they would be preditory targets themselves...

Most any other time I'll de-barb...especially for schoolies and toothy Blues...
When mini-Stripes are the soup d'jour...After a few, I'll pack up and move...

MrsBigStripe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.67 KB
 Viewed:  876 Time(s)

MrsBigStripe.jpg

Esox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: your pic Reply with quote
In that picture of you on the couch; are those dogs?

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
Penguin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: My constant companions... Reply with quote
Lucy & Dingo...
(Border Collie & Blue Heeler mix)

Esox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Hook strength Reply with quote
Beautiful dogs. Dingo looks bright. Those two breeds almost cancel each other out. Such great personalities.

The hooks that you are using look too weak. How strong are they? I have had some pullouts over the years with Stripers and Blues because I used freshwater streamer hooks. Are yours deceptively strong, like Ike Turner? Between the thinness of the hook and the width of the gap they look like they could straighten.

"If it cooks for you, solid." Lenny Bruce
cornmuse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Keel Hook Herring Reply with quote
Penguin wrote:
I've taken Owner and Gamagatsu worm hooks and turned them into a keel/hook-up HerringPhly...

Nicely done and an excellent idea. For the record, Mustad has discontinued the 79666 keel hook - I've confirmded this with the North American Mustad rep. I've been looking at various worm hooks to do something very similar to what you've created (I'm playing with imitations of immature carp for largish bass of the striped hybrid variety that live in the Ohio River - and if I'm very lucky and outsized Flathead catfish, which is a nearly impossible fish on a fly for many reasons you might not anticipate). Thanks for sharing a great combination of tying techniques - flatwings, keel flies and bendbacks!

Joe C.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
Penguin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Owner Hooks Reply with quote
I tried the BendBack species but didn't like the point offset angle regarding the direction of the hook set and the diverging angle of the hook point...the force vector is compromised.
'Still (IHMO) probably better than "bending your own"...
If you can bend it, so can they... Shocked

After looking around and a bunch of R&D/tank tests, Gamagatsu and Owner were the only ones left standing...
The Owner Rig'n Hooks are strong and well suited for my smaller applications (sand lances, silversides,etc)...sharp, strong, thin wire...waytogo!
The Owner Oversize 7/0 is a good size but there is a little give in the wire than negates HONKIN' on the fish during the fight...This is what I use for most of my Hook Up Phlyz...sofarsogood!
The Oversize 11/0 is BIG and STRONG and the gap is Grand Canyonesque...for REALLY BIG Hook Upz... Rolling Eyes

Keep 'em sparse and flowing...LESS IS MORE...
...especially when they are undulating at first light "INSINUATING" breakfast.. Wink

OwnerHooks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.55 KB
 Viewed:  944 Time(s)

OwnerHooks.jpg

Penguin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Variation on a Rayz Fly theme...
Owner wide gap worm hook...
Sparse...Less is more...

scan0007a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.3 KB
 Viewed:  787 Time(s)

scan0007a.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Global FlyFisher forum frontpage -> Patterns All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: